FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Senior Gender Specialist
Job ID: 19108
- The Strengthening Integrated Delivery of HIV/AIDS Services (SIDHAS) project is a five-year PEPFAR program to provide high quality HIV/AIDS services, and to build the capacity of the public and private sectors in Nigeria in order to provide these services in a sustainable manner.
- The SIDHAS project is funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
Job Summary / Responsibilities
- The gender focal point would be expected to advocate for greater attention to gender perspectives, providing the necessary rationales and advice on approaches to support gender mainstreaming throughout FHI 360.
- S/he will be responsible for integrating gender sensitive approaches to technical assistance.
- S/he will promote high level of collaboration, communication and cooperation with government facilities and identify appropriate interventions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct robust analysis of gender constraints facing women within the target beneficiary population; recommend gender initiatives needed to meet program targets for women’s participation.
- Establish and grow relationships with FHI360s gender partners in Nigeria.
- Develop indicators for assessing progress with gender mainstreaming, adapted to the various types of work in various portfolios.
- Collect, analyze and disseminate on a regular basis, statistics on the representation of women in all processes and bodies established in the work of FHI 360, to provide a holistic picture of the representation of women in clinical settings.
- Develop, maintain and disseminate a resource-base of gender specialists with relevant competencies in the area of work which can be used throughout the organization as necessary.
- Improve gender equality through policy advice, networking, advocacy and teamwork, and relate them to policy makers across sectors.
- Ensure engagement with civil society organizations representing the interest of women, vulnerable and marginalized groups of society.
- Advise on/prepare advocacy and communication materials to promote gender equality and human rights across FHI 360
- Improve the effectiveness and long-term sustainability of gender related interventions by ensuring that gender is analyzed and incorporated into the design and implementation of interventions.
- Provide technical assistance in gender for all program activities such as: review assessment tools, manuals, laws and other project documents; make specific recommendations and provide follow up support to ensure that gender is integrated into activities and documents.
- Work with FHI 360 staff and partners to ensure that gender considerations are fully integrated into the program design and activities, including monitoring and evaluation.
- Design and implement program gender strategy, including management of women-focused special initiatives, as required.
- Design and conduct gender sensitization training for FHI 360 staff, implementation partners and beneficiaries.
- Conduct periodic program gender evaluations; recommend and implement corrections, as necessary.
- Monitor and evaluate program performance on gender-related goals and objectives and contribute content for internal and external reporting.
- Assist teams by providing feedback in the form of actionable suggestions to ensure appropriate integration of gender principles and practices in projects, programs and analytical efforts where gender concerns are critical.
- Identify and take the lead on gender related analysis designed to lead to engagements in areas where gender related concerns have been underserved. Assist teams to improve the analysis of gender gaps and issues in key areas, and on how to find resources to fund such efforts (Gender Action Plans).
- Serve as focal point on gender issues among Development Partners and with the government.
- Improve dissemination of current and anticipated Gender related initiatives while deepening and broadening the dialogue on gender with the Government and other stakeholders.
- Identify opportunities for training and capacity building on gender for teams and partners.
- Track and report the progress on goals and targets; identify and select the gender-relevant indicators based on the policy objective.
- Ensure that information needed for appropriate gender analysis is integrated into programs, collected and analyzed correctly.
- Assist teams in designing gender-related evaluation strategies, including defining the expected outcomes and timeframe.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Knowledge of health and development programs in developing countries in general and Nigeria specifically.
- Strong writing, Excel and PowerPoint presentation skills.
- Ability to understand full range of issues around gender related issues and sensitivities.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the social, political and ethical issues surrounding HIV infections.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to travel within Nigeria 25% time.
- Experience working as or with senior government policy makers.
- Strong analytic and economic research skills.
- Excellent communications skills, written and verbal.
- Strong diplomatic skills to support effective work through implementing partners.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Development Studies, Gender Studies, Sociology, Anthropology or related discipline with 5-7 years working experience in gender integration at the national or international level.
- Expertise in gender analysis, strategic planning, and integrating gender balance into project design and management is required.
- Hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects is required.
- Preferably a recognized gender expert in the field, with first-hand knowledge of gender experience working in Economic Development, Gender equality issues, Public Policy, or Social Development.
- Experience in dealing with issues of women’s rights and gender mainstreaming within public institutions and/or international organizations required.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply