FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Zonal Coordinator
Requisition – 2018202181
Location: Imo State
Job type: Full time
- Alive & Thrive is an initiative to save lives, prevent illness, and ensure healthy growth and development through improved breastfeeding and complementary feeding practices.
- Alive & Thrive is funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the governments of Canada and Ireland.
- To maximize the impact of BMGF investments in nutrition in Nigeria, A&T added a fourth objective to its plan in November 2017, that is: to strengthen government capacity and non-governmental partnerships at national level for improving breastfeeding policies, programs and practices.
- This national replication component that goes beyond A&T’s first 2 states of Kaduna and Lagos, aims to reach policy influencers and families with young children in multiple high population states to strengthen the enabling environment for mothers to adopt early initiation and exclusive breastfeeding.
- The State Focal Person oversees the accelerated scale up of A&T activities in 2 or 3 states.
- H/She is responsible for program planning, implementation, monitoring, and reporting of the interventions implemented by A&T and its partners in the assigned state(s).
- H/She is accountable for judicious use of all resources entrusted with A&T and its partners in the assigned state(s).
- The Nigeria A&T IYCF social and behavior change program focuses on improving rates of early initiation of breastfeeding, exclusive breastfeeding, timely introduction of complementary feeding, and minimum dietary diversity for infants over 6 months old.
- A&T will work across the public, commercial/private, and NGO sectors to improve IYCF through A&T’s four components: advocacy, interpersonal communication and community mobilization, mass communication, and strategic use of data.
- At the national level, A&T will predominantly work with its public, private/commercial, and NGO sector partners (Scaling Up Nutrition and other national IYCF initiatives) to improve the implementation, monitoring, and enforcement of key IYCF policies (Code of Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes; maternity leave; work place support; breastfeeding-friendly health care and delivery facilities).
- A&T will also work in twelve states through identified national associations to apply the four components to reach households, communities, and facilities with targeted, age-appropriate social and behavior change communication (SBCC) messaging on IYCF practices.
- At both the national level and in the states, while the emphasis will be to build the capacity of the public sector to improve IYCF practices, the involvement and resources from the private and commercial sectors will be pursued to advance IYCF policies, expand the promotion of positive social norms, and extend timed and age-appropriate behavior change messaging through private and commercial facilities to households and communities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in development of and monitors work plans and budgets; ensures appropriate levels of technical assistance in program operations; coordinates partner efforts in program implementation; ensures appropriate program monitoring and accurate financial and programmatic reporting to the Country Office.
- Undertake regular monitoring visits to project sites and partners as necessary.
- Collaborate with other IPs based in the state to coordinate project activities.
- Ensure the day-to-day implementation of work plan activities in the state(s) and provide input into the development, on-going management and maintenance of work plan
- Compile State level reports on project results, case studies and lessons learned.
- Facilitate, draft, and participate in the development of, and/or the timely completion/review of A&T technical reports, such as: monthly, quarterly, and/or annual reports; strategic plans and work plans; and other ad hoc reports, as required.
- Participate in the design and implementation of assessments and evaluation studies, trainings, and workshops.
- Work with identified state partners on IYCF integration and scale up activities within the state
- Serve as the point of contact of A&T with government officials and coordinate and collaborate with all public sector and partners at the state.
- With the assistance of the A&T M&E specialist, monitor all intervention strategies to ensure that they meet contractual, financial and programmatic goals.
- With technical assistance from country office technical specialists, provide programmatic/technical assistance to all local A&T partners in the design, implementation, modification, monitoring and evaluation of project activities.
- Coordinate all capacity building activities for A&T partners at the state level.
- Review periodic reports (programmatic and financial) submitted by all collaborating partners at the state office level and forward same to the country office.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
- Fluent English written and oral communication skills, and the ability to write for a range of audiences and purposes, including superior presentation skills.
- Substantial operational experience and a track record of success on public health programming, including nutrition and SBCC.
- Sound strategic thinking and planning skills, including ability to think creatively and innovate and to set priorities, manageable work plans and evaluate progress.
- Experience in working across multiple partners and government.
- Proven capacity to deliver results against objectives, reporting schedules and workplans.
- Ability to translate programmatic information into practical guidance and tools and effectively communicate these using print, electronic, and presentation media.
- Proficient in word processing, presentations and spreadsheet computer packages.
- Demonstrated knowledge of strategic planning, administrative, and financial management systems.
- Demonstrated experience in undertaking high-level policy dialogue with different stakeholders.
- Demonstrated expertise in building effective relationship with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Proven track record that demonstrates leadership skills, project management, budget and resource management experience, and client relationship management capability.
- Diplomatic and good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and negotiate clearly and effectively at all levels.
- Ability to effectively work independently and outside of conventional office environments, if needed.
- Strong initiative and self-motivation required with a commitment to teamwork and effectiveness.
Qualifications and Requirements
- MSc/MPH or equivalent.
- A minimum of 7-9 years of experience managing public health/ development projects.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience supervising direct reports.
- At least 5-7 years’ experience in programme management especially in nutrition and Social and Behavior Change Communication.
- Demonstrated experience and high acceptability in working with government, NGOs, private sectors are required.
- Demonstrated success in multicultural environments is required.
The following is a summary of fringe benefits provided by FHI 360 to eligible employees:
- Comprehensive medical plans (PPOs)
- Dental insurance
- Vision coverage
- Group life and AD&D insurance
- Supplemental personal accident insurance
- Supplemental disability
- Life insurance
- Paid vacation, sick and parental leave
- 403(b) retirement plan
- Pension plan
- Health savings account
- Long-term disability
- Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Dependent life insurance
- Business travel insurance
Other benefits (will vary depending on work location):
- Public transportation program
- Qualified tuition programs (529 plans)
- Bicycle subsidy
- Legal assistance plan
- Pet insurance.
- On-site fitness center
- Local credit union membership
- Health and wellness program
- Employee assistance program
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time