Girl Effect, We’re a creative non-profit empowering girls to change their lives. Started by the Nike Foundation, we are experts in media, mobile, brand and international development: a unique mix of skills that we use to solve global problems in a different way.
We work across the world in the places where girls are marginalised and vulnerable. We create for young people in ways they love and interact with. And it’s all delivered through the media and mobile tech they use every day – from apps that build skills, to TV dramas that explore vital issues, to magazines written by girls.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Manager, Gender
Context of Role
- We are looking for a dynamic individual to lead the Gender team and work collaboratively to implement the gender strategy in Nigeria.
- The Gender team is Girl Effect’s gender technical function that integrates gender technical expertise into Girl Effect’s unique approach to social norm change for girls’ empowerment.
- The Senior Manager, Gender will be responsible for driving forward core gender components of Girls Connect, TEGA and Springster and will work closely with the product leads in Nigeria and London to ensure each product achieves social norm change for girls in Nigeria.
What You’ll Do
- Lead the overall implementation of the gender strategy in Nigeria ensuring Girl Effect’s highest possible impact in changing discriminatory social norms and empowering adolescent girls in Nigeria
- Represent GEN in external gender technical meetings to remain up-to-date on the current thinking and trends in the sector, feed learning back into organisational work and to showcase GE’s approach
- Provide gender technical expertise into safeguarding policies and procedures to ensure all children and young people’s well-being, safety and best interests when engaging with GE’s work, acting as safeguarding focal points where required.
- Provide gender technical expertise to the development, delivery and assessment of the GEN country strategy and processes, bringing the voice of the girl and her needs into all strategy and product development
- Contribute to increasing GE gender technical thought leadership by developing Nigeria specific research, supporting the global team on developing theoretic frameworks and other thought pieces to contribute to GE’s body of knowledge
- Provide gender technical input to core GEN products, including TEGA, Girls Connect and Springster
- Enable GEN team to ‘walk the talk’ by spearheading an internal learning agenda on gender-related issues and GE’s work for staff through formal training, films, huddles, talks, cross-country learning, etc.
- Overall management of the Gender team, including effective line management and development of work plans that are aligned to country and global priorities
Who You Are
- You will have in depth demonstrable experience working on Gender and Development projects with specific knowledge of girl-centred programming and gender norm change theory and practice
- You’re a team player with strong interpersonal skills and experience of and comfort with working in a multi-cultural team
- You’ll have a strong commitment to diversity and non-discrimination on grounds of culture, nationality, sex, disability, religion, race and age
- You are adaptable – able to work in complex, unfamiliar and changing environments
- You’re proactive with a solution focused mindset
- Commitment to realizing the potential of girls and to the vision and values of Girl Effect
- You possess a deep understanding of national and international best practice on working with adolescent girls
- You can demonstrable experience of working with girls and young women on the design, implementation and monitoring of programmes focusing on girls’ and women’s rights and gender equality, digital programming experience is desirable
- You will have knowledge of the partner and policy landscape as they relate to adolescent girls and gender norm change
- You’ll have excellent project management and planning skills with demonstrable experience in managing budgets and timeframes
- Your report writing, presentation and communication skills and fluency in written and spoken English will be of a high standard – the ability to speak Hausa is desirable
- You have a high attention to detail and ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines
What Else You Should Know:
- As we continue to scale and grow – we are hugely ambitious for our future and we are looking for people who are driven by this to change the world for girls.
- Our teams are a diverse mix across sectors (non-profit and commercial) and specialisms (from Brand and Creative through to Gender and Insight). You’ll learn and grow in an environment that will challenge you to think and work with a fresh perspective.
- At Girl Effect, you can expect to work somewhere where you will be stretched and developed in your role, a place where you can build your career and work with talented, engaged people committed to our cause to create a lasting impact.
Application Deadline 31st May, 2018.