The Governing Council of Delta State University, Abraka at its meeting held on Friday, 31st May, 2019 decided to fill the position of the Vice-Chancellor that shall be vacant on 1st December, 2019 at the expiration of the tenure of the incumbent Vice-Chancellor. In this regard, applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Vice-Chancellor
Functions of the Vice-Chancellor
- Subject to the provisions of the University law, the Vice-Chancellor shall take precedence over all other members of the University except the Pro-Chancellor and Chancellor.
- Subject to the provisions of the University law, the Vice-Chancellor shall have the general function of directing the activities of the University and shall be the Chief Executive and Academic Officer of the University and Chairman of the Senate.
Qualifications and Experience
- Applicants should be conversant with University business, particularly with records that could guarantee academic standards and discipline.
- Applicants must show evidence of understanding of the academic, national and international objectives of universities.
- Applicants must be of good health and shall show evidence of it at interview, if shortlisted.
- Applicants should be ICT compliant.
- They should not be above 65 years of age at the time of assumption of office of Vice-Chancellor.
- Applicants should be persons not below the rank of Professor of not less than eight (8) years standing, and with cognate experience in University Administration and Management.
- They must possess Ph.D. degree or its equivalent in a discipline relevant to the courses and programmes of the University.
- They must show evidence of academic leadership and sound scholarship by way of research, publications and mentoring of students and fellow staff.
- They should be persons with unblemished character and personality; morally sound and free from disciplinary and financial embarrassment.
- They should be well exposed and versatile in international relations; and with profile to command national and international respect.
- The Vice-Chancellor shall hold office for one non-renewable term of five (5) years only.
Conditions of Service
- The conditions of service are attractive and as approved by Government for Nigerian universities.
- Applicants should submit a statement of not more than 500 words of the Vision and Mission of their Administration of the University if appointed as Vice-Chancellor.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit thirty-five (35) copies of application letter with comprehensive curriculum vitae in a sealed envelope marked “Application for the Post of Vice-Chancellor 2019″. The Curriculum Vitae should include information on the following:
- Name of the Applicant in full (Surname first);
- Post desired;
- Date and Place of Birth;
- E-mail Address;
- Permanent Home Address;
- Current Postal Address;
- Marital Status;
- Number and Ages of Children (if any);
- Educational Institutions Attended (with dates);
- Academic and Professional Qualifications Obtained (with dates and locations);
- Name(s) and address(es) of Previous Employer(s), stating Status;
- Name and Address of Present Employer, Post, Date and Salary;
- Research Journal / Book Publications;
- Administrative and Mentoring Experience;
- Academic Distinctions/Special Awards (if any);
- Extracurricular Activities;
- Names and addresses of three (3) referees, at least one of whom should be in a position to provide reliable academic/professional opinion about the applicant.
All Applications should be forwarded to:
The Registrar and Secretary to the Governing Council,
Delta State University,
P.M.B. 1, Abraka,
Delta State – Nigeria.
Application Deadline: 9th August, 2019
- Applicants should request their referees to forward their views to the address above.
- All applications with necessary documents attached should be forwarded to the address stated above before the Application closing date.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview at a later date.