Cells and Environmental Systems Inc. is a privately-held environmental biotechnology company based in Calgary, Alberta, that is developing biotechnological solutions to production and environmental problems in the energy industry. The company focuses on emerging oil producing regions/countries, ensuring the transfer of biotechnologies and expertise for efficient exploration and production of oil and gas in these regions. The company provides solutions to environmental pollution problems using the most earth-friendly technologies.
Cells and Environmental Systems (CES) Limited, a subsidiary of CES Inc has a temporary/part-time opening for a GIS Specialist / Data Analyst with the possibility of the position becoming permanent/full-time based on candidate performance and other factors.
Job Title: GIS Specialist / Data Analyst
- Create different types of maps (e.g. biodiversity maps, social, crime incidences, etc.) and graphs
- Gather data from diverse habitat (aquatic and land) in the field or electronically using appropriate tools
- Conduct research to locate and track data for creating databases
- Design and update databases
- Gather, analyze, and integrate spatial data and determine how best to present information cartographically
- Compile geographic data from different sources including field observation, government agency, aerial photographs, existing maps, etc.
- Operate and maintain GIS hardware, software, camera, etc.
- Retrieve maps from different sources
- Enter map data using different cartographic techniques
- Analyze data statistically
- A Bachelor’s degree in Geography or related course with specialty in GIS or mapping
- Preferably a postgraduate diploma or degree in GIS 1-3 years experience; candidates with no experience must have a Master degree in Geography with specialization in GIS and must be able to work independently on mapping assignments
- Analytical skills with the ability to solve problem using GIS tools
- Information gathering skills
- Ability to communicate effectively; written and oral communication skills
- Should be able to convey GIS and spatial information to non-technical people
- Must be able to use GIS tools (e.g. ARC etc.)
- Must be presentable with people skill
- Must be able to use computer programs to solve problem
- Demonstrated experience mapping biotic factors (e.g. vegetation, biodiversity, etc.) regionally or sub-regionally
Application Closing Date
10th February, 2014
Method Of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CVs and cover letter with information on your monthly salary expectation to: [email protected]