Australian High Commission – The department’s purpose is to help make Australia stronger, safer and more prosperous by promoting and protecting our interests internationally and contributing to global stability and economic growth.
The department provides foreign, trade and development policy advice to the government. We work with other government agencies to ensure that Australia’s pursuit of its global, regional and bilateral interests is coordinated effectively.
The Australian High Commission in Abuja seeks to appoint candidate to fill the position of:
Job Title: Public Affairs Officer
Agency: Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Classification: Locally Engaged
Reports to (title): Second Secretary
About the Australian Government’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT)
- The role of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) is to advance the interests of Australia and Australians internationally.
- This involves strengthening Australia’s security, enhancing Australia’s prosperity, delivering an effective and high quality overseas aid program and helping Australians overseas.
- The department provides foreign, trade and development policy advice to the Australian Government.
- DFAT also works with other Australian government agencies to in pursuit of Australia’s global, regional and bilateral interests.
- The successful candidate will be responsible for managing the High Commission’s public affairs program.
- This will include assisting with developing a public affairs strategy, preparing reports on activities and organising and managing events.
- The officer will also assist with trade promotion and support for Australian business.
- The position will also oversee engagement with the media, including drafting media releases, and manage the High Commission’s social media platforms.
- It will also assist with promotional activities and events in Benin, Niger, Cameroon and Gabon.
- The officer will also be involved in managing high level visits.
- We seek a person with a high level of initiative and who possesses the ability to develop and maintain a good network of contacts.University qualifications in a relevant discipline and fluency in English are required, together with the ability to organise events and prepare high quality reports as well as strong communication, liaison and interpersonal skills.
- Strong French language competence(spoken and written) would also be an asset.
About the position
- The Public Affairs Officer is a key member of the High Commission team, and is responsible for coordinating Australia’s public affairs program in Nigeria and other countries of accreditation for which the High Commission has responsibility (Niger, Cameroon, Gabon and Benin).
- The position entails engagement with the media, organising events, visits and programs, and assisting with trade promotion.
- The officer is also responsible for the High Commission’s social media platforms including the High Commission’s website and Facebook page.
The key responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinate Australia’s public affairs program in Nigeria and other countries of accreditation
- Assist with developing the High Commission’s public affairs strategy.
- Organising and reporting on the High Commission’s public affairs events and activities.
- Support trade promotion and commercial relations.
- Manage visits by High Commission staff and visitors from Australia, including preparation of visit programs and logistics.
- Assist with management of the public affairs budget.
- Develop contacts within the media and draft media releases on behalf of the High Commission.
- Liaise with external stakeholders including other diplomatic missions, government agencies, NGO’s.
- Managing queries from the public and posting content on the High Commission’s social media and website.
- University qualifications in Political Science, International Relations, Economics, Public Relations, Marketing, Humanities/Social Sciences or other relevant fields.
- Fluency in English.
- Flexibility to undertake a wide range of policy and administrative tasks, as directed.
- High level of initiative, self-motivation and ability to work with limited supervision, manage own work program and meet deadlines.
- Strong communication, liaison and interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain good working-level contacts.
- Ability to prepare high quality reports and media pieces.
- Strong French language competence (spoken and written) is desirable.
- Experience in events management and media liaison desirable.
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office).
This is a local hire position.An experience-based salary package will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
Application Closing Date
22nd June, 2015.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications to:email@example.com (by email only). Applicants should include the following:
- Curriculum Vitae of no longer than two (2) pages;
- Name and contact details of two referees with close knowledge of their work; and
- A written statement (maximum 500 words) explaining how they meet selection criteria in terms of relevant professional and other experience, and qualifications, and their reasons for applying.
Note: Applications that do not follow the above format or that are received late will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted