Helen Keller International (HKI) – Established in 1915, is an international non-governmental organization (NGO) dedicated to saving the sight and lives of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged. Headquartered in New York City, HKI currently conducts programs in 21 countries in Africa and Asia, as well as in the United States.
HKI implements integrated package of cost-effective interventions that are proven to improve maternal and child nutrition. HKI supports policies and programs on food fortification, vitamin A supplementation, infant and young child feeding, nutrition-sensitive agriculture, community-based management of acute malnutrition and prevention and treatment of neglected tropical diseases. At the core of HKI’s programs is advocacy and social behavior change communication to various stakeholders. HKI also undertakes cutting-edge research to influence policy decisions and inform program quality. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Contract Finance Assistant
Supervisor Title: Finance Coordinator
Main Purpose of Job
- The Contract Finance Assistant is responsible for assisting the Finance Coordinator and Head of Finance and Operations with safeguarding the assets (financial and physical) of HKI and ultimately the donor against fraud, loss or misuse.
In collaboration with the Finance Coordinator, carryout the following responsibilities:
- Review bank vouchers and prepare expense pre accounting requests
- Prepare and verify salaries cost allocations and other cost allocations
- Check and verify the accuracy of bank reconciliations
- Carry out payroll review against staff files
- Carry out payment / activities request review
- Reviews and approves payment
- Ensures the effectiveness of approvals.
- Properly code all transactions.
- Control and enter all expenses from the petty cash,
- Blank cheque custodycheque preparation
- Uploading approval from the Procurement / other Finance Team
- Cheques raised and signed by approved signatories.
- Bank voucher preparation
- Cash tracking of incoming and outgoing transactions.
- Petty cash custody & reconciliation
- Accrual statements management
- Prepaid statements management
- QB data entry (Payment & Retirement)
- Review of retirements
- Supplier withholding tax statements
- Supplier withholding tax payments
- Office Tax compliance
- Donor Budget preparation & monitoring
- Donor report preparation & reconciliation
- Preparation and submission of WTR
- Preparation and submission of Month end reporting package
- Preparation and submission of Year end reporting package
- Preparation and submission of IFRS Financial statements
- Preparation & submission of Year end HQ audit
- External audit preparation & follow up
- HKI Budget preparation
- HKI shared cost budget monitoring
- Payment of expenses, including per diem and transport to participants during activities in the fie.
- Prepare and control advances.
- Assure balances of unused portions of advances are deposited into the HKI account.
- Prepare deposit slips for cash to be deposited into the bank account.
- Reconcile advances, including review of receipts, coding of expenses on the general voucher and entering into QuickBooks.
- Maintain accounting files.
- Follow up on outstanding advances and assure timely reconciliation.
- Control consumption of project (petrol, electricity, water, telephone,)
- Participate in the improvement of the accounting system and the system of internal control.
- Create all financial reports as requested by supervisor.
- Preparation of forms for payments of taxes and social security.
- Other tasks as requested by supervisor
- Ensure that payments are processed accurately, timely, and safely (to minimize HKI’s risk exposure).
- Ensure that treasury practices in country minimize HKI’s cash exposure.
- Ensure that entries are entered into financial system accurately and timely.
- Ensure that month and year-end accounting activities are done accurately and in compliance with HKI policies and procedures.
Experience / Knowledge and Sklls:
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience as an Accountant
- Understanding of key aspects of accounting
- Experience with Donor projects
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, especially Excel spreadsheets, or comparable software
- Ability to use basic accounting software (i.e. QuickBooks)
- Demonstrate good judgment and sound financial “common sense”
- Ability to create and monitor budgets. Understanding of the basic tenets of Cash Control, Asset Management and Bank Reconciliation
- Understanding of principles of adequate documentation and of audit, and performance necessary to ensure audit compliance.
- Written and verbal proficiency in English including business terminology
- Strong written and oral presentation skills in English
- A creative and proactive approach to all areas of work with a ‘can do’ attitude, in line with the HKI’s values
- Strong team working orientation with a flexible and adaptable approach to work demands across the whole organization
- Commitment to accuracy and attention to detail
- Collaboration Skills
- Financial Management
- Good ethical conduct
- Monitoring / assessing performance to make improvements or take corrective action
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Commitment to accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally
- Ability to plan, balance and cope with competing priorities
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage teams, initiate and organize work
- Ability to establish priorities in a time-sensitive environment and meet deadlines
Interested and qualified candidates should send a comprehensive Resume with a Cover Letter as ONE MS Word document to: [email protected] using the “Position Title” as the subject of the email.
Application Deadline: 17th January, 2020 (Time: 5PM)
- Applications will not be accepted after the above stated closing date
- There are no relocation allowances available for this position.