Helen Keller International (HKI) – Established in 1915, Helen Keller International (HKI) works to save the sight and lives of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged persons. We combat the cause and consequences of blindness and malnutrition by establishing programs based on evidence and research in vision, health and nutrition. Headquartered in New York City, HKI currently conducts programs in 22 countries in Africa (including Nigeria), Asia as well as in the United States. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Contract Finance Officer
Duration: One Year (Renewable subject to availability of funding)
Main Purpose of Job
- The Contract Finance Officer is responsible for assisting the Finance Coordinator and Finance and Operations Manager with safeguarding the assets (financial and physical) of HKI and ultimately the donor against fraud, loss or misuse.
In collaboration with the Finance Coordinator, carryout the following responsibilities:
- Uploading approval from the Procurement/other Finance Team
- Cheques raised and signed by approved signatories.
- Bank voucher preparation
- Cash tracking of incoming and outgoing transactions.
- Petty cash custody & reconciliation
- Accrual statements management
- Prepaid statements management
- QB data entry (Payment & Retirement)
- Review of retirements
- Supplier withholding tax statements
- Supplier withholding tax payments
- Office Tax compliance
- Donor report preparation & reconciliation
- Preparation and submission of WTR
- Preparation and submission of Month end reporting package
- Preparation and submission of Year end reporting package
- Preparation and submission of IFRS Financial statements
- Preparation & submission of Year end HQ audit
- External audit preparation & follow up
- HKI Budget preparation
- HKI shared cost budget monitoring
- Payment of expenses, including per diem and transport to participants during activities in the fie.
- Review bank vouchers and prepare expense pre accounting requests
- Check and verify the accuracy of bank reconciliations
- Carry out payment/activities request review
- Reviews payment
- Ensures the effectiveness of approvals.
- Properly code all transactions.
- Control and enter all expenses from the petty cash in collaboration with the finance officer
- Blank cheque custodycheque preparation
- Prepare and control advances.
- Assure balances of unused portions of advances are deposited into the HKI account.
- Prepare deposit slips for cash to be deposited into the bank account.
- Reconcile advances, including review of receipts, coding of expenses on the general voucher and entering into QuickBooks as required.
- Maintain accounting files.
- Follow up on outstanding advances and assure timely reconciliation.
- Control consumption of project (petrol, electricity, water, telephone,)
- Participate in the improvement of the accounting system and the system of internal control.
- Create all financial reports as requested by supervisor.
- Preparation of forms for payments of taxes and social security.
- Other tasks as requested by supervisor
Required Minimum Experience/Knowledge and Skills
- Understanding of principles of adequate documentation and of audit, and performance necessary to ensure audit compliance.
- Written and verbal proficiency in English including business terminology
- Strong written and oral presentation skills in English
- A creative and proactive approach to all areas of work with a ‘can do’ attitude, in line with the HKI’s values
- Strong team working orientation with a flexible and adaptable approach to work demands across the whole organization
- Commitment to accuracy and attention to detail
- Collaboration Skills
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience as an Accountant
- Understanding of key aspects of accounting
- Experience with U.S. government and other Donor projects is a plus
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, especially Excel spreadsheets, or comparable software
- Ability to use basic accounting software (i.e. QuickBooks)
- Demonstrate good judgment and sound financial “common sense”
- Ability to create and monitor budgets. Understanding of the basic tenets of Cash Control, Asset Management and Bank Reconciliation
- Ability to plan, balance and cope with competing priorities
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage teams, initiate and organize work
- Ability to establish priorities in a time-sensitive environment and meet deadline
- Financial Management
- Good ethical conduct
- Monitoring/assessing performance to make improvements or take corrective action
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Commitment to accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their comprehensive Resume with a Cover Letter as ONE MS Word document to: [email protected] using the position title as the subject of the email. You will receive an auto response confirming your application.
Application Deadline: 24th May, 2019.
Note: Please note that applications will not be accepted after the closing date and time stated above.