The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN) was established by the Act of Parliament No. 15 of 1965 as an organization to regulate the Accountancy Profession in Nigeria. It has over 42,000 members and is a member of the International Federation of Accountants (IFAC), Pan African Federation of Accountants (PAFA) and Association of Accountancy Bodies in West Africa (ABWA).
In the Institute’s quest for more effective pursuit of its objectives, it seeks to recruit suitably qualified candidates for the vacant position below in its Research and Technical Education Directorate:
Job Title: Director, Research and Technical Education
- The position reports to the Deputy Registrar (Technical Services) and is responsible for providing intellectual insights and professional guidance on the Institute’s value propositions for the development of the accounting profession in Nigeria through research on topical and policy driven issues relating to economic, financial and the Institute’s regulatory imperatives.
- Provides leadership for the development of a highly effective and efficient Research and Technical Directorate ensuring response to long term needs of professional accountants
- Initiates and undertakes research activities on topical, financial and economic issues aimed at enhancing the scope and quality of research conducted by the Institute
- Manages the Research and Technical Directorate, including functional management and capacity building of staff in the Directorate
- Coordinates efforts to provide thought leadership to the accountancy profession in Nigeria
- Coordinates the Institute’s efforts at providing technical support for members
- Ensures regular publication of high quality technical journals and memoirs
- Networks with senior researchers and academics as well as with national, regional and International institutions, to ensure continued relevance of research activities and a high profile for ICAN
- Establishes and actively maintains close links with national policy research institutes to promote research relevant to the accounting profession within their structures and frontier research into issues of interest to ICAN and its members
- Coordinates responses to requests from organizations such as IFAC, PAFA and ABWA with respect to exposure drafts and other technical matters
- Explores and actively identifies research funding opportunities with local and international development agencies
- Relates with research institutes, academics and ICAN members, FAG, PAFA,
- ABWA and development agencies, diplomatic corps and educational development institutions such as Federal Ministry of Education, NUC, NBTE, etc
Education and Experience
- Minimum of M.Sc. or equivalent in Accounting or Economics (Ph.D or its equivalence will be an advantage)
- Experience in leading, managing and coordinating a broad range of research activities in line with defined strategic objectives
- Chartered Accountant
- Minimum of ten (10) years relevant post professional qualification experience
- Strong research, analytical and reporting ability with good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and demonstrated capacity to work in partnership with diverse groups while balancing the relative sensitivities are also essential skills for this role.
- Success in this role demands diligence, attention to details, creative and inquiring capacity, strategic mind-set and Leadership, creativity and proficiency in the use of information technology.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications and a copy of current Resume (specifying the position applied for) to: [email protected]
Note: Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline 23rd November, 2017.