The Institute of Human Virology Nigeria (IHVN) is a leading and reputable non-governmental organization addressing infectious and non-infectious diseases such as HIV, tuberculosis (TB) and cancer through the provision of prevention, diagnosis, treatment, capacity building, research, and care and support services.
The International Research Center of Excellence (IRCE) at the Institute of Human Virology Nigeria (IHVN) was established in 2015 to create an enabling environment to facilitate research activities that bridge international and Nigerian researchers. IRCE is fostering providing a common world class platform for the implementation of research and clinical trials at international standards.IRCE is seeking a skilled and qualified candidate for the position below:
Job Title: Statistician
Department: International Research Center of Excellence
Type of Employment Adhoc: Senior Program Officer
- The ideal candidate will analyse IRCE datasets and contribute to the statistical analyses sections of scientific manuscripts. S/he should be able to deliver oral presentations to various audiences, to produce a variety of written communications products in a clear, concise style. The Statistician also ensures that project outputs maintain high-quality standards and that reports are clear, objective and based on comprehensive data.
- S/he will ensure that all output produced meets required standards and complies with the relevant mandates while demonstrating professional competence, and mastery of data analysis concepts and methodologies.
- The ideal candidate should be self-motivated, professional, conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; be capable of managing the work load and prioritizing tasks in a fast-paced research-focused environment.
- The statistician will lead the data management unit at IRCE.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties of the Statistician include, but are not limited to the following:
- Data analyses for scientific manuscripts
- Developing statistical analysis plans for grant submissions and new research projects including sample size and power calculations
- Database development, review and maintenance
- Statistical computing and modeling, interpretation and discussion of results with research teams.
- Audit data quality of ongoing IRCE research projects, creation of publication-ready graphs and tables, documentation of data and analyses, interpretation of data.
- Work with research team to draft the methods and results sections of peer-reviewed papers and reports.
- Provide guidance on statistical considerations in IRCE’s ongoing research activities.
- Keep abreast of new data analyses tools, statistical methodologies and software upgrades.
- Participate in the preparation of statistical outputs and graphs for IRCE’s scientific manuscripts, publications and press releases.
- Provide training to IRCE staff and collaborators on statistical methods and data analysis.
- Provide supervision for IRCE Data managers, analysts and associates.
- Serve as a member of the IRCE data repository and contribute to the initiative to archive data at IRCE.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Director and IRCE Coordinator.
- The Statistician reports directly to the IRCE coordinator and the IRCE Executive Director.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in statistics, mathematics, bioinformatics, health informatics or a related field is required.
- A first level university degree in the relevant area in addition to 3-5 years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, as well as very good inter-personal skills.
- A minimum of 2-5 years’ work experience in data cleaning, compilation, computation and analysis.
- Ability to carry out sample size and power calculations, contribute to the data analysis sections of grant proposal applications and develop a clear statistical analysis plan for grant submissions.
- Expertise in creation of databases and use of data management software such as REDCap.
- Expertise and proven proficiency in statistical (eg STATA, SAS, SPSS, and/or R) and Microsoft packages (particularly Excel and Access)
- Experience in developing and implementing statistical methodologies is desirable.
- Proven ability to work on multiple projects and balance time-sensitive deliverables is required.
- Ability to generate data tables, charts, graphs will be a key requirement.
Experience and Skills:
- Experience in the use of R statistical package is an added advantage.
- Ability to work well as part of a team.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Advanced Microsoft Office/Excel/Power-point skills.
- Good budgeting and report writing skills.
- Strong organizational, and report writing skills
- Strong organizational, and problem-solving skills with impeccable multi-tasking abilities
- Good interpersonal skills.
- The successful applicant will be hired on an initial 6 months trial period which can be terminated if performance and fit for job is deemed unsatisfactory.
- If 6 months trial period is satisfactory, successful applicant will be retained on contract, renewable every 12 months.
Interested and qualified candidates should send detailed Resume and a one page Cover Letter as one MS Word document explaining suitability for the position to ” Deputy Director, Human Resources” via: [email protected]
Application Deadline: 9th March, 2021.
- Application must explicitly state the position applied for in the subject of the email.
- Candidates are advised to provide three professional referees with email addresses and phone numbers.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.