The International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement is the largest humanitarian network in the world. Its mission is to alleviate human suffering, protect life and health, and uphold human dignity especially during armed conflicts and other emergencies. It is present in every country and supported by millions of volunteers.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Networking Field Officer
- Provides advice and contributes to the analysis of the Sub Delegation (SD) on the variety of factors impacting on ICRC security and operations
- Advises the Head of Sub Delegation and Field Delegates in the networking of the SD, including ensuring that ICRC is in dialogue with relevant stakeholders (i.e. members of the humanitarian community, CSOs, political and religious leaders, as well as weapons bearers) to foster the acceptance / perception of the ICRC as a neutral, impartial and independent humanitarian actor in the North East
- Develops mechanisms and ensures proper information flow especially on security-related matters among the SD staff and for incoming visitors
- Supports the Communication Field Officer in the implementation of the Operational Communication Strategy of the SD, including through the identification of relevant target groups for ICRC dissemination sessions and other communication activities, and well-adapted communication tools, and backs up the Communication Field Officer during the latter’s absence
- Provides regular analytical briefs and reports on the evolving humanitarian and security situation, as well as the conflictual dynamics in the North East
- Organizes field trips to perform tasks of networking, communication, and protection-related activities
- Serve as focal person within the SD on cooperation between the ICRC and the relevant branches of the Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS)
- Master’s degree, preferably in social sciences
- Background in security services an asset (the interested should hold a senior officer rank)
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in positions with public outreach or security management
- Excellent knowledge of the political, security and socio-cultural/religious dynamics in Borno and Yobe States
- Existing network with key players of at least one of the mentioned layers (politics, security, religious circles, society)
- Advanced analytical skills, especially on political, religious, security and social dynamics of Borno and Yobe States
- Good communication skills with good knowledge of written and oral English, and advanced reporting skills (written reports)
- Fluent in Hausa and Kanuri, with Arabic as a strong asset.
- Advanced computer skills a must (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Previous experience with a humanitarian organisation or NGO/CSO an asset
- Autonomous, Rigorous, methodical and accurate
- Honesty & integrity
- Leadership skills and good team spirit
- Able to cope with stressful situations
- Sensitivity and empathy to work with beneficiaries of the ICRC (victims of conflict/violence)
- Flexibility to work over time when needed
- Good communication and negotiation skills
Application Closing Date
13th May, 2016.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their application letter, curriculum vitae and contact details of three referees to: [email protected]
- Please clearly indicate “Networking Field Officer” as the subject of your application (Applications intended for this role without this subject will not be treated)
- The deadline for the submission of applications will be the date above. Late application will not be considered
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- However, ICRC will not request for any monetary payments from applicants at any stage of the recruitment process.