International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics, is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world.
Covering 6.5 million square kilometers of land in 55 countries, the semi-arid tropics have over 2 billion people, and 644 million of these are the poorest of the poor. ICRISAT and its partners help empower these poor people to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through better and more resilient agriculture.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Scientific Officer in Market Development / Linkages
Duration: Two years contract, renewable based on funds
- The research associate in market development and linkages will work under the supervision of ICRISAT Country Representative.
- Led in profile 4000 to 6000 farmer for NA Di RA
- Support the design of selected commodity sectors market development strategy within the context of NADiRA project in Nigeria.
- Support marketing activities for selected commodity development hubs in Nigeria.
- Support establishment of contracts with potential partners (e.g. market actors), and develop concrete offers for partnership and negotiate agreements between key actors.
- Initiate contract farming arrangement between seed companies, seed Out growers. farmers groups, banks, insurance company’s agro-input companies and off-takers based on best practices and trust.
- Actively participate in monitoring and evaluation of project implementation
Minimum Academic/Professional Qualifications
- Degree in Agricultural Economics /Agricultural Extension/Agronomy or related fields, and/or additional training in Agricultural Market Development/ Entrepreneurship Development or a related field.
- Should have a minimum of 2 years working experience with relevance in agriculture and agribusiness;
- Previous experience with private sector and hands on market linkages will be an added advantage;
- Strong computer skill (knowledge of 00K is an advantage)
- Experience in use of GIS is an advantage
- Must be energetic, creative, and willing to learn;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Understanding of local languages is an added advantage
- Must have previous experience in agribusiness and be willing to spend long periods traveling and staying in rural areas,
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment.
- Computer literacy with proficient knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint applications
- Thorough knowledge of Sorghum market development and information systems particularly within Nigeria.
Application Closing Date
10th March, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their application and CV’s to: [email protected]