The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Research Associate
Reference No: IITA – HR – NRS2020 – 013
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Recruitment Type: National (1 – year renewable contract)
- Develop protocols and standard operating procedures for sample collection and field survey to be conducted by the Soils4Africa project across the continent;
- Assist in the development of (electronic) tools for the recording of the field observations and registration of soil samples with the of available tool kits;
- Assist WP leader in coordinating field campaign to be organized in the five (5) subregional hubs of the project in Africa;
- Conduct training on the use of the protocols, implementation of the standard operating procedures and use of tools for field survey in the sub-regional hubs and field teams if and when required;
- Assist in the acquisition of consultancy assignments and projects with reference to soil inventory, suitability assessment and management recommendations;
- Execute the fieldwork for soil inventory and mapping associated with the abovementioned consultancy assignments and projects (organize, coordinate and oversee);
- Prepare reports on all activities conducted and assist in reporting to project donors and clients;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
- Masters in Soil Science or related fields with minimum of five (5) years’ experience in sampling designs, soil formation and genesis, soil analysis and soil management in a well structured organization.
- Candidate must be digitally competent (use of computers and standard applications like word processors, spreadsheets, etc.), and competency in data management, statistical analysis (preferably in the use of R) and writing scripts or code for applications like ODK.
- Have good communication and interpersonal relations skills.
- We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Interested and qualified candidate should complete the online application attaching detailed Cover Letter and Curriculum Vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format to IITA.
Click here to apply online
Click here for more information (PDF)
Application Deadline: 21st April, 2021.
- The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce, particularly welcoming applications from women. While all applications will be acknowledged, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.