International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and Nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Consultant, SMART Survey
- The principal objective of the survey is to measure the extent and severity of acute malnutrition in children aged 6 to 59 months, assess IYCF practices and additional nutrition and health related indicators as per the ECHO Funded Program results framework.
- To determine prevalence of acute malnutrition, chronic malnutrition, underweight and overweight among children 6-59 months
- To assess retrospective morbidity among children under 5
- To assess retrospective mortality (Crude Mortality and U5 Mortality rates) over 3 months’ recall period among populations.
- Assess community IYCF practices particularly among the households with children under two years of age
- To establish recommendations on actions to address identified gaps to support planning, advocacy, decision making and monitoring.
Consultant will serve as the Survey Manager on the SMART & IYCF survey program in Borno State, Nigeria. Specifically, Consultant will complete the following tasks:
- Develop and design SMART survey protocol, including sample size estimation, population size, clustering of the villages etc., and validate contextual tools using the SMART methodology
- Train the SMART data collection teams and data clerks (including field testing)
- Assume overall responsibility for design and implementation of the SMART, including daily supervision of SMART teams and daily data collection quality assurance
- Be responsible for data cleaning and analysis using appropriate software i.e. Epi Info, SPSS, ENA for SMART
- Prepare a draft SMART survey report for review by IMC, ensuring that the assessment is comprehensive and includes all relevant indicators
- Prepare a final report including background, methodology, results, limitations, conclusions and recommendations incorporating feedback from IMC staff on the draft report
- Prepare and lead a validation workshop for MOH and stakeholders in Maiduguri, Borno State Nigeria. The presentation outcomes will be shared at national level via the Nutrition Cluster/ Nutrition working group
- Present the design, implementation and supervision strategy of the SMART survey. Validate with IMC country team and the TU Nutrition advisor
- Implement the SMART survey in Jere, Konduga and MMC LGAs in Maiduguri, Borno State Nigeria.
- Present a draft SMART survey report including background, methodology, results, limitations, conclusions and recommendations (short term and medium-term recommendation)
- Present a SMART final report incorporating the feedback from the IMC country team and the TU nutrition advisor
- Submit all the data and analysis outputs (both raw and final) electronically to IMC country team
Essential Skills And Qualifications Required For The Role
- A health professional or nutritionist with MPH, MSc or advanced professional degree or field-related experience.
- Significant and proven experience, at least three years, in community based studies including SMART surveys.
- Knowledge in designing and implementing CMAM and IYCF programs
- Excellent analytical and statistical skills.
- Strong communication skills, able to effectively present information clearly and respond appropriately to questions from IMC staff and other relevant stakeholders
- Strong supervisory and organizational skills
- Ability to work on own initiative and to meet deadlines.
- Ability to cope with stress; hardship; patience and flexibility and willingness to work additional hours in order to meet tight deadlines;
- Ability and willingness to travel to field sites and nutrition facilities
- Advanced proficiency in the use of MS Office, EPI INFO, SPSS and for ENA SMART Software.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- The candidate must present an approved final report of the most recent SMART survey that he/she had conducted
Application Closing Date