International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, non-profit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training, relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, non-political, non-sectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Wash Technician
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- The WASH Technician will be responsible for providing support to the WASH team on the hardware components of the WASH program including construction and drilling/rehabilitation of water points especially in the areas of BOQ development, drawing/designs and day to day supervision of field works to ensure contractors are delivering quality infrastructures including but not limited to latrines, water points, etc.
- Review technical reports from the various contractors and provide recommendations to the WASH Officer as to whether the delivered infrastructures meet the required standards and quality by IMC
- Provide technical inputs in assessments for new project areas
- Provide technical inputs in the production of IMC regular reports both internally and externally: Weekly, monthly, quarterly, etc.
- Provide technical input/ verification in the quality and quantity of materials received from suppliers before it is received by the logistics.
- Liaise with contractors on the quantity and quality of materials to be requested form logistic and makes the request on time for prompt delivery to site.
- Be involved in capacity building of Water Management and Sanitation committees especially with regards to routine maintenance techniques.
- Provide updates to WASH Officer on state of IMC Water and Sanitation infrastructure by working closely with the trained WATSAN committees in the communities on regular basis.
- Work with WASH Officer to conduct continual review of the designs and functionality of the water supply systems (and other water points) to ensure efficient operation as well as reliability and safe water distribution.
- Act as the main technical personal in the development of BoQs and designs for all WASH works on the various projects including but not limited to latrines construction, water points drilling and rehabilitation.
- Work with the WASH Officer to design templates, construction contracts for WASH related works, and a system for monitoring the progress of works and performance of hired contractor.
- Provide rigorous supervision of WASH hardware works in the various communities and projects ( latrines construction, water points rehabilitation)
- Provide technical supervision to contractors undertaking various IMC works in the communities and ensure delivered work is up to stand as required by IMC
Qualifications and Requirements
- Polytechnic certificate (OND / HND) in Civil Engineering, Water Engineering or Architecture or any relevant technical qualification.
- HND at least two (2) years of graduation experience ND at least five (5) years of graduation experience with a non-profit, non-governmental organization or private engineering firm.
- Demonstrated skill in the use of AutoCad, CAD, GIS software, and GPS device.
- Experience in drafting Bill of Quantities for civil works (infrastructure rehabilitation and installation)
- Experience in ground water development and rehabilitation.
- Excellent experience with Microsoft Excel, including use of formulas and pivot tables
- Strong skills with Microsoft Word
- Excellent English communication skills
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently
- Flexible, able to cope with stressful situations and frustrations
- Willingness to travel to other Borno LGAs outside of MMC for up to 2 weeks as required by supervisor.
Ethical Conduct for IMC Staff
- The International Medical Corps maintains a code of standards of conduct that shall govern the performances of its employees engaged in the award and administration of contracts. No employee, officer, or agent shall participate in the selection, award, or administration of a contract supported /by donor funds if a real or apparent conflict of interest would be involved.
- Such a conflict would arise when the employee, officer, or agent, any member of his or her immediate family, his or her partner, or an organization which employs or is about to employ any of the parties indicated above, has a financial or other interest in the firm selected for an award.
- IMC officers, employees, or agents shall neither solicit nor accept gratuities, favors, or anything of monetary value from contractors, or parties to sub-agreements. These standards shall provide for disciplinary actions to be applied for violations of such standards by IMC officers, employees, or agents.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse:
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within International Medical Corps and amongst beneficiaries served by International Medical Corps
Compliance & Ethics:
- Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values
- Other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications, addressed to the “Human Resource Coordinator, International Medical Corps” via: [email protected]
Application Deadline 20th September, 2018.
- Candidates MUST state the position and location they are applying for as the subject of their email, application letter and curriculum vitae should be in a single Microsoft Word Document, otherwise applications will not be considered.
- Nigerian nationals only
- Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted.