International Organization for Migration (IOM) is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental andnon-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for thebenefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Migration Health Nurse
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
SVN No: SVN2022.53
Organizational Unit : Humanitarian Hub
IOM Classification: G5
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term (SST) 6 Months
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Under the overall guidance of the Chief Migration Health officer and the direct supervision of the Senior Migration Health Nurse, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following duties and responsibilities in relation to the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) in Abuja, Nigeria.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Perform daily nursing activities in the Migration Health Assessment Clinic (MHAC) to fulfil the technical requirements of the resettlement countries in the areas of:
- Medical examinations,
- Such as checking vital signs, weight, height, visual acuity.
- Blood, urine or sputum collection as required;
- Laboratory testing;
- TB management;
- Treatment and referrals;
- Pre-departure procedures and medical movements;
- Documentation, certification and information transmission; and,
- Other technical areas as may be required.
- Provide information and detailed explanations to the migrants and/or refugees in relation to:
- The migration health assessment process; and,
- Treatments and referrals.
- Ensure proper identification and follow-up by:
- Comprehensive history taking;
- Accurate and thorough Biodata collection;
- Ensuring ID verification for each step of the health assessment process; and,
- Keeping a register of applicants who undergo health investigations and testing.
- Follow and implement the Health Assessment Programme’s checklists and SOPs and maintain standard universal precautions within MHAC.
- Verify samples of sputum, blood or others are properly transported to the laboratory or previously designated location.
- Maintain and monitor the MHAC pharmacy, stock, medical kits and emergency kits within the MHAC and for medical escorts if applicable.
- Provide pre and/or post counselling to migrants or refugees on TB or HIV education, prevention and management as appropriate.
- Prepare administrative reports and program updates as necessary.
- Support the planning and execution of mobile missions if applicable.
- Assist with pre-departure documents, briefings and preparations as necessary.
- Perform medical escort duties when required to ensure migrants receive continued care throughout all phases of migration (before departure, during the journey and at the final destination).
- Maintain collaborative relationships with various partners to facilitate follow-up and relevant information sharing. Partners include internal IOM departments, other health providers, panel physicians, embassies other UN agencies or NGOs and others as applicable.
- Collect statistical information and share with the Senior Migration Health Nurse or CMHO as per preset and agreed-upon format.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
- Nursing Degree with a minimum of three years relevant clinical experience or Diploma in Nursing with a minimum of five years relevant clinical experience and a valid license to practice nursing in Nigeria
- Excellent technical skills, including in phlebotomy.
- Training or working experience in the areas of Tuberculosis management, immunizations, mental health, communicable diseases, laboratory testing or public health is an advantage.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge the local language.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
Core Competencies – Behavioural Indicators Level 1:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- This is a national position and only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Click here to apply online
Click here for more information (PDF)
Application Deadline: 9th May, 2022.
- For the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2022.053 Lagos Migration Health Nurse.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.