International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Resource Management Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- The North Eastern part of Nigeria has witnessed an increase in violence since the beginning of 2015, causing a major humanitarian crisis. More than two million individuals have been displaced as a consequence of the intensified attacks by the insurgents, as well as the counter-insurgency activities of the Nigerian Government, with the highest number of displacements taking place in Borno, Yobe, Gombe and Adamawa States.
- In order to support the Government of Nigeria strengthen the humanitarian response in the Northeast, the Humanitarian community is working towards expanding its scope of intervention beyond Maiduguri into priority satellite sites in newly accessible areas. This, however, brings to light the need for increased accommodation and office space to meet the growing numbers of staff in Maiduguri. IOM and participating partners are improving the access and service delivery to beneficiaries in the conflict-affected areas through the establishment of humanitarian hubs in Maiduguri and other strategic locations.
- Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the direct supervision of the Resource Management Officer (RMO) in Abuja, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for monitoring of the budgetary, financial, human resources and administrative functions of the Maiduguri sub-office. S/he will also contribute to providing recommendations aiming at increasing effectiveness and efficiency of resource management in the Maiduguri sub-office.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Monitor financial management, particularly in the Maiduguri sub-office, including the oversight of financial expenditures and accountability. Undertake financial analysis of all activities in the assigned sub-offices.
- Coordinate with senior management the preparation of donor financial reports in accordance with IOM regulations and established procedures.
- Make recommendations on procedural improvements and assist in training local staff in the relevant areas of administration and finance.
- Assist in the supervision of the Mission’s administrative functions, and other related activities, in accordance with the Organization’s policies and procedures.
- Monitor the implementation of procurement, logistics, facilities maintenance, guest house administration, asset administration, and transport support within established internal control mechanisms.
- Liaise with other internal functional units of the Mission, and support the supervisor in liaising with banks, donors and government counterparts and other stakeholders as required in the performance of the accounting function.
- Liaise with relevant units at IOM Abuja with regard to the financial and administrative activities of the Mission.
- Evaluate, monitor and update the database of vendor/contractor accreditation and evaluation status to ensure a pool of reliable vendors and contractors.
- Establish and monitor a tracking system of commodities, supplies, and equipment and project assets in the mission.
- Assist in forecasting cash flows according to activities in the Mission and ensure daily control of funds disbursed; verify that funding is received in accordance with donor agreements.
- Participate in the preparation and draft portions of the annual budget for the Mission, and assist in the preparation of budgets for new programmes.
- Inspect payroll versus budgets, ensuring that salaries are correctly allocated to projects consistent with IOM’s projectization criteria.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or University Degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Professional certification as chartered accountant (CA) or certified public accountant (CPA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), or Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) will be a distinct advantage.
- Experience in financial management, accounting and budgeting;
- Experience in the field of resources management, IOM project financial planning and budget revision management;
- Knowledge of IOM’s regulations, policies and procedures preferred;
- Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and SAP highly desirable;
- Audit experience highly regarded;
- Knowledge of IOM accounting systems, software and procedures a distinct advantage.
- Good knowledge of human resources management;
- Familiarity with financial oversight and public administration;
- Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with international institutions;
- Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of any local language is an advantage.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Application Deadline 26th February, 2018.