The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster.
At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Procurement Manager
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Requisition ID: req11275
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Background / IRC Summary
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
Job Overview / Summary
- The Procurement Manager is responsible for the efficient coordination and management of the supply chain Procurement functions for IRC Borno field office and Area Base offices in compliance with IRC and donor regulations.
- The position will directly supervise the Procurement officers, Emergency Supply Chain Officers in Maiduguri and Procurement Assistants in Monguno and Gwoza Area Base offices. Other key responsibilities of the Procurement Manager include procurement management and staff management.
- The position would report to the Supply Manager (Expatriate) in Maiduguri Field Office and will also work closely and receive technical support from the Supply Chain Coordinator.
- Accountable for implementing and maintaining a local procurement system adapted by the IRC Nigeria Supply Chain Department and based on IRC Global procurement policies and standard operating procedures.
- Establish a reasonable and appropriate lead-time for ordering and delivery of goods, ensuring this lead-time is followed and achieved as per the different grant timelines.
- Maintain transparent and efficient general contracting systems through IRC standard Supply Chain due diligence.
- Finalize Supply Chain Monthly Report and PRTS for final submission to Supply Chain Coordinator.
- Ensure each grant has a procurement plan and each plan is updated, discussed with the relevant budget holder and are reported on a monthly basis.
- Coordinate, manage and be accountable for the supply and logistics support to IRC operations, including the efficient, effective and transparent procurement of the required goods and services according to IRC policies and standard operating procedures.
Budget & Finance:
- Participate in proposal design and budget development by identifying and inputting the required operational budget need for project implementation.
- Work with field staff to identify Supply Chain needs and ensure that issues are raised with Supply Chain Coordinator to ensure they are included in new budget development.
- Monitor Supply Chain sections of budgets. Review Budget vs. Actual expenditure reports and give feedback to Supply Chain Manager and Supply Chain Coordinator.
Training, Outreach and Staff Management:
- Proactively develop the skills of IRC Borno staff to understand and utilize Supply Chain tools and services to design and implement quality programming.
- Practice excellent human resource management, supporting the development, promotion and retention of a motivated team of qualified and experienced staff
- Identify staffing and / or skill gaps and see that these gaps / needs are filled and support the recruitment of all Supply Chain staff and provide day to day supervision of department.
- Ensure that each Supply Chain staff has updated job description, annual performance objective and provide corrective feedback of set objectives through regular performance evaluations.
- Ensure that any staff discipline follows a progressive methodology which provides for clear and structured improvement.
- Ensure all Supply Chain staff are aware of and in compliance with IRC Supply Chain policies and SOPs for procurement management
- Participate in all grant opening and ending meetings with the role of preparing and presenting Supply Chain plan including warehouse space, procurement plans, required equipment, disposals and reports.
- Implement capacity-building program to strengthen the capacity of Supply Chain staff in Maiduguri offices.
- Prepare weekly / monthly Supply Chain reports and send to Supply Chain Manager for review and feedback.
- In collaboration with the Supply Chain Manager , conduct Supply Chain Assessment and act improvement plans prepared in response to resolve the gaps identified
- Maintain current knowledge of local government requirements related to Supply Chain matters and ensures compliance with legal requirements
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: The Procurement Manager directly reports to the Expatriate Supply Chain Manager Position directly supervises: Procurement Officers, Emergency Supply Chain Officers
- Indirect Reporting: Supply Chain Coordinator
Other Internal and / or external contacts:
- Internal: Finance and the Program Sectors
- External: Suppliers / Vendors
- Relevant Bachelor’s Degree, required. Degree, diploma or professional certification in Supply Chain Management, Procurement or related field strongly preferred
- At least 3 years of working experience in Supply Chain / Procurement Department.
- Experience working with grants funded by donors including USAID, BPRM, UNHCR, DFID, ECHO, and EU, and knowledge of specific donor guidelines.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply