The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security Liason Manager
- The Safety & Security Manager Position, under the direct supervision of the Safety & Security Coordinator (SSC), supports the IRC Nigeria Country Program in identifying, analyzing, and mitigating risk in order to facilitate access for humanitarian programming in Borno State and to ensure IRC operates within acceptable S&S risk levels.
- To do this, the role will work with the existing security and operation staff to ensure that IRC staff deployed to the field are supported and oriented on the existing protocols.
- The Manager will spend 70% of time supporting Base offices in Monguno, Gwoza and any other hard to reach location where IRC might expand to.
- The role will further entail advising field security management teams/Program Managers/ security focal persons on various security matters; contribute in implementing the country security policies and facilitate the rollout of security SOPs, and regular reporting on compliance.
- The Manager will liaison with the SSC, FC and Base Manager will organize regular security training and refresher training to enable IRC staff have a constant understanding of the context and existing security plans.
- The manger will ensure timely reporting of security incidences and dissemination of security information to all staff.
Program Management, Technical Quality, and Strategy:
- Collate, analyze and disseminate security information as approved or advised by the SSC or FC to IRC staff and ensuring the information remains accurate and neutral.
- Assist the SSC to conduct security risk assessment of IRC program locations in Maiduguri, Monguno and Gwoza using the standard SRA & Security Level tool and to monitor the contextual trends prior to and continuously after deployment of staff.
- Contribute to the development or review of IRC field offices FSMP, CPs, security standards operating procedures and support as required in updating IRC.
- Work closely with IRC Base Managers to ensure that Safety and Security Standards within the Base Offices are maintained and implemented in line with the assessment repots.
- Constantly visit the Base Offices and conduct security trainings, workshops and socialization sessions to Staff to embolden their understanding of IRC security management, and deal with the dynamic threats within their areas of operations including contingency planning.
- Enforce IRC Security SOPs within the area of jurisdiction and advice program staff accordingly. Constantly and immediately notify the SSC or FC of any breach to the procedures in the SOPs.
- Assist the SSC in conducting and maintaining physical security risk assessment of IRC offices, Base Offices and Guest Houses in Maidiguri, Monguno and Gwoza. Any areas of improvement to be reported to SSC or FC for immediate action.
- Work closely with the Base Mangers, and the Field Coordinator to ensure that Security Focal Group (SFG) meetings in Maiduguri, Monguno and Gwoza are held and minutes submitted to SSC as required.
- Conduct security briefing and orientation to all newly hired staff, staff on mission or international visitors using the standard IRC briefing format. He/She will ensure that an update briefing tracking sheet is maintained.
- Assist the SSC initiating security alerts as appropriate in line with the ever evolving security context across State through the existing Warden System.
- Work with the Security Liaison officer to ensure that staff movement within Maiduguri, to Konduga, and any other field site are well tracked and communication using Sat Phone and VHF is maintained.
- Guide Field teams on how to undertake security risk assessments during field missions to programme areas and potential programme areas; report on findings and design necessary improvements.
- Supports the SSC in the identification and mitigation of potential security risks to staff, assets and operational/program security and validates mitigation measure within security risk assessments.
- Ensure that incident report forms are properly compiled by staff and distributed to Field Management team. He/She will ensure that the incident tracking sheet is kept up to date.
- Monitor events, review incidents and coordinate analysis, follow-up actions and recommendations in close coordination with the SSC, FC, BM and Program Managers.
- Provide security update, which includes situational analysis, actions taken and actions recommended, to the Field Management Team on a regular and as per request basis.
- Submit written weekly and monthly security reports and trend analysis to the SSC and ensures that the security incident list is updated.
Staff Performance Management, Learning & Development:
- Supervise, and build the capacity of security team members including the contracted guards.
- Coach, train, supervise and mentor direct-report staff, including communicating clear expectations, setting annual performance objectives, providing regular and timely positive and constructive performance feedback, and providing documented semi-annual performance reviews.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Hold high-quality meetings with each direct report on a regular and predictable basis, at least monthly.
- Provide a measurable development plan including on-the-job learning with the aim of strengthening technical capacity, exchanging knowledge within the team and providing guidance on career paths.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform.
Research, Learning and Analysis:
- Continuously using different established sources such as UNDSS, INSO and other independent sources, collate or research security information, produce objective analysis which can be used to make informed decision to the security management plan.
Coordination & Representation:
- Attend any local stakeholder’s coordination meetings/forums within Maiduguri, Monguno or Gwoza or any other meeting as might be directed by the supervisor.
- Liaise with government, Military, Police, DSSS, Local Heads and other key external stakeholders to ensure that IRC staff can maintain regular and safe access to program areas.
- Bachelor’s Degree Security Management/Disaster Management/Military Science/International relations /Public Administration or a field related to humanitarian work or risk management.
- Computer skills (including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and internet)
- Professional training and certification with recognized Security bodies will be considered.
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience in an INGO or UN set up operating in the Northeast or other hostile areas as a security focal person or in a similar role of security management.
- In-depth knowledge or work experience in conflict or post-conflict and/or complex emergency environment.
- Previous service or work experience with the Nigerian Disciplined Forces will be a desired advantage. Certificate of discharge will be required as proof.
Demonstrated Technical Skills:
- Security Risk Assessment in INGO hostile environment set up.
- Competency in using and maintaining field-based communications systems (HF, VHF radios and Satellite phones).
- Security incident analysis and report writing skills.
- Good communication (verbal and writing) and interpersonal relationships development skills.
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience in security management, advisory, analysis and capacity building role in an international organization setting.
- Proven ability to be flexible and work well under pressure in fast-paced team environments and to be available 24/7 whenever a security incident occurs.
- Training and facilitation skill using different training media.
- Ability to develop Security Plans and SOPs
- Languages: English, Local language in the northeast of Nigeria
- Computer/Other Tech Requirements: Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint and ability to use mapping software or applications.
- Ability to Travel: 70 % of time in Gwoza, Monguno and/or Damaturu
- Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
- IRC staff must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Global Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability.
- Monthly salary, 13Month Salary Inclusive, Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 24 Months.
Application Closing Date
22nd May, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter and Resume to the “HR Coordinator” via: [email protected]
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.