The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Community Engagement and Information Assistant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Scope of Work
- The IRC is implementing a protection program featuring strengthening of community based protection structures, capacity building, protection monitoring, information dissemination and referral services.
- The Community Engagement and Information will be the focal points in the establishment and oversight of community based feedback and complaint mechanisms in target communities.
- The Community Engagement and Information Assistant will be based in Maiduguri. S/he reports to the Training and Capacity Building Officer.
- The IRC will also building capacity of government authorities, local organizations and local communities around protection mainstreaming and protection monitoring.
- The IRC will also include legal assistance and counselling services. The protection program is currently implemented in the NE states of Adamawa and Borno.
- Under the supervision of the Training and Capacity Building Officer, the Community Engagement and Information Assistant will Assistant will work closely with the Protection Officers, Protection Assistants and Reporting/Database Assistant to ensure the smooth implementation of protection programming in the areas of operation.
- The Community Engagement and Information Assistant will have the lead role of mobilizing local communities and conducting awareness raising sessions and other community engagement activities.
- Assist the Training and Capacity Building Officer in planning, coordination, execution and monitoring of the capacity building and information dissemination activities such as training, production of IEC materials, information dissemination planning etc.
- Take lead in mobilizing target communities for protection and other IRC related activities.
- Engage community members in design, planning, executing, and monitoring of community based protection activities.
- Work closely with other IRC staff to create awareness and conduct dissemination information activities.
- Participate in the design, planning, and execution of protection activities in the area of jurisdiction.
- In coordination with other Protection staff, take part in identification of new target locations.
- Participate in data collection, vulnerability screening and assessment such as community needs assessment including identification of beneficiaries in need of assistance.
- Ensure timely preparation of monthly work plans as well as preparation and submission of weekly and monthly reports.
- Be the link between IRC Protection staff and the target local communities.
- Establish, oversee and manage community feedback mechanisms in target locations.
- Hold community meetings with key stakeholders to identify community needs and concerns
- Take lead in budgeting of all community engagement related activities in consultation with the Protection Manager.
- Support Protection Officers in identifying and selecting most vulnerable individuals.
- Support referral process by notifying Protection Officers of key Protection issues and concerns identified in target areas.
- Establish good working relationship with relevant stakeholders such as camp officials, local community leaders, traditional leaders etc.
- Ensure that information collected on target beneficiaries is disaggregated by age and sex.
- Keep record of all community engagement activities implemented and relevant stakeholders in target communities.
- Attend regular internal Protection sector meetings.
- Carry out other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
- University Degree in Social Work, Psychology or a related field.
- 2 years’ experience implementing protection programming including experience in emergency or post-conflict project management
- Knowledge of the local language will be an added value
- Demonstrated experience using international human rights standards in protection programming
- Excellent communication skills, cultural sensitivity, flexibility, ability to improvise, team player.
- Experience in using community based and participatory approaches.
- Experience in community mobilization and awareness creation.
- Experience in working in remote and hard to reach areas with limited amenities
- Ability to live and productively work under stress and in insecure and harsh environments while maintaining a sense of humor.
Specific Security Situation/Housing
- The security situation in the NE continues to be volatile at level 3 (orange) security level as it’s one of the three states of emergency (SoE) in the NE of the country. The candidate should be prepared to implement programming in insecure environments.
- Monthly salary, 13th Month Salary Inclusive, Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 24 Months.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications addressed to the Country Director IRC by e-mail to: [email protected]
Hand delivered application should be sent only to the IRC Field Office in Damaturu, Yobe State.
- Applications will be selected on rolling bases and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for Interview.
Application Deadline 21st November, 2017.