UNDP has been in Nigeria since the country became independent in 1960. In the last programme cycle (2003-2008), UNDP provided capacity building and policy development support to the Federal Government and 21 states drawn from the six geo-political zones in four programme areas: Governance & Human Rights; Poverty Reduction; HIV & AIDS; and Energy & Environment.
UNDP Nigeria is the United Nations Development Programme. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: IT Clerk
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 16-May-2011
The purpose of this TOR is specifically:
- To recruit an individual to provide essential day to day IT support for the UNAIDS office in Abuja, Nigeria on a part time basis (three (3) days a week or as may be required/necessary)
- The required services will be performed at UNAIDS premises, Abuja, Nigeria.
UNAIDS Nigeria office is located in the UN House where other UN agencies are resident and requires technical IT support for the day to day functioning.
The office is setup with core network devices, (Server computer running Windows Server 2003, Juniper firewall, Cisco switch, patch panel, Videoconferencing unit). The Windows 2003 Server includes Active Directory (AD), DNS, DHCP and File/Print services. The server equally support backup which provide daily, weekly and monthly backup of all user’s data in the Server.
Currently, 8 laptop Computers and 10 Workstations are installed using standard setup (image) with Windows XP Professional and Microsoft Office 2003 with file Format Converter. Outlook 2003 is the email interface and users access UNAIDS Exchange Server using RPC over HTTP protocol.
Duties and Responsibilities
The IT clerk is expected to support the UNAIDS Office in Nigeria in the performance of the following tasks:
- Provide on general IT support to the users mainly in Windows XP Professional and Microsoft Office 2003 applications.
- Proactively ensure that all work stations and laptops are maintained and have the latest security patch installed.
- Ensuring the security and integrity of staff information and documents.
- Focal point for UNAIDS Abuja IT staff training including ICDL.
- Ensuring availability of Internet services to users in the UNAIDS office.
- Provide advise on assistance in procurement of new equipment, provide technical specification on local best options, review of quotations and bids.
- Ensure that backup is functioning as configured and that all backups are successful and restored data (or upon user’s request). Tape backup needs to be changed or rotated and or store off-site.
- Evaluation of supplied ICT equipment by UNAIDS vendors to ensure compliance with set standard specification stipulated for the vendors.
- Maintain and perform LAN patching and keeping the data current.
- Maintain an up date inventory of the units software and hardware also maintain a library of reference materials, develop procedures for usage and provide related information to staff.
- Escalate technical issues to Regional and /or HQ helpdesk for timely problem resolution.
- Ensure desktop, laptops and Server are adequately safeguarded against unauthorized access. Virus detection, removal and prevention for all system.
- Provide assistance for data access, transfers and conversions.
- Upgrading of existing computers to improve system performance and efficiency.
- Responsible for the management and administration of UNAIDS Nigeria server.
Most activities will be with close interaction with the Regional ICT Coordinator in Dakar and or with the Field IT Services team in HQ Geneva.
- Demonstrates commitment to UN’s mission, vision and values.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience and provides helpful advice to others in the office.
- Ability to develop systems for structuring, codifying and providing access to information and knowledge.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead planning and reporting
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to provide IT support services including IT hardware/infrastructure support, ERP support, other IT applications support, web design and maintenance.
- Excellent knowledge of PC/LAN operating systems, Microsoft Windows, corporate ICT security and viral protection systems, knowledge of web design, knowledge of Microsoft Windows network administration, ERP.
- Ability to provide input to business process re-engineering, elaboration and implementation of new systems.
Required Skills and Experience
2 – 3 years of relevant work experience
15th April, 2011
Method of Application
Applications should be submitted online
Click here to apply online