Posted on :
23 Sep, 2010
23 Sep, 2010
With over 120,000 employees and offices in 130 countries, Maersk has the scope to help you achieve even your most ambitious career goals. From shipping and energy to retail, our diversified activities enable us to offer attractive career paths for generalists and specialists alike. Maersk Nigeria recruits Shift Manager – APM Terminals
This position offers an outstanding opportunity to join the global team at APM Terminals and contribute to the success of the organization. The position reports to the Operations Manager
· Coordinate terminal planning and operations to ensure effective ship working programmes are set and maintained to ensure vessels meet sailing or berthing deadlines.
· Liaise with engineering department shift management to maximize equipment availability and effectiveness.
· Is responsible for efficient allocation of all shift operational staff and the cost-effective utilisation of equipment resources to match the operational requirements of the terminal.
· Ensure that recognized safe working practices are utilized for all terminal operations and maintain effective implementation of safety policies and procedures.
· Provide first line of response for emergency situations and damage assessments.
· Provide terminal presence by maintaining significant visibility checks all quay side and yard activities continuously throughout shift and prepare operational reports as required by management.
· Maintain continuous operations by ensuring all shift operational staff use the “hot seat” changeover at shift changeover times and for operator rest break changeovers.
· Assist in the development of staff to ensure they perform at efficient and effective levels by monitoring performance and taking appropriate action in order to ensure they reach their full potential.
· Contribute to “on the job” training of supervisory staff and undertake other duties within capabilities as required by senior management.
Ø Require a University degree in Operations Management, Logistics, Business Administration or related discipline.
Ø Require at least seven years or more of strong supervisory experience in container terminal operations environment or similar industry. Previous experience as a foreman, supervisor, superintendent or other similar position would be expected as a natural progression to this position.
Ø Is thoroughly familiar with the strict implementation of international standards of safe working practices within marine, stevedoring and terminal operations.
Ø Advanced computer skills with a sound understanding of modern terminal planning and control systems.
Ø Require a comprehensive understanding of container terminal operations, especially vessel cargo logistics, hazardous cargo, break-bulk and special cargo handling requirements and equipment.
Ø Ability to work under pressure, anticipates potential problems and diagnoses, evaluates and resolves logistical problems as they happen in order to meet operational performance objectives and deadlines.
Ø Have effective customer service skills.
Ø Provide leadership and ensure cooperation and support from employees and contractors in all areas of terminal operations to achieve operational objectives of the business using a teamwork approach.
Ø Effective negotiation and conflict resolution skills combined with good counseling and listening skills.
Ø Well developed English oral, written communications and report writing skills. Also must have a working knowledge of Pidgin English.
Ø Has a current Driving License.
§ Requires capability to anticipate problems by recognizing the key issues in problems and creating contingency plans and alternative solutions.
This position is a local position, based in Lagos, Nigeria and will remain posted until 30th September 2010.
Please apply through the job portal and ensure to upload/attach a recent CV. For all internal applications please note that HR will request your staff card upon receipt of your application.
If you have any questions or would like further information, you are welcome to contact Jean Chukwura on [email protected]
Offer valid till 30th September 2010