Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters and exclusion from healthcare. MSF offers assistance to people based on need, irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Anesthetist Nurse
Reference No: MS024
Location: Pulka – Gwoza LGA, Borno
Main Objective of the Position
- Assist the doctor anesthetist all anesthetic medical activities (pre-anesthesia evaluation, administration of anesthesia, recovery period, specific pharmacy, equipment, general organization, etc.), according to MSF policies, protocols and universal hygiene standards, in order to ensure the quality of pre, during and post-operative care of patients
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Assist the doctor in consultations to patients due to undergo surgery, evaluating the risks of operating in collaboration with the surgeon, checking that patients authorize their operations in writing, providing them with appropriate information on their illness and treatments, and deciding on what type of anaesthetics to be used, in order to collaborate in setting everything up before surgery.
- Does round consultations with the Surgeon Doctor once or twice a day, discussing therapeutic orientations with the department manager, renewing prescriptions and ensuring they are followed and systematically evaluating patients’ pain to adapt prescriptions and/or therapies for their relief.
- Implement and follow at all times hygiene rules, procedures and protocols, as well as look after the integrity of anaesthesia material (decontamination, sterilisation, storage conditions, etc.) and other equipment, in order to ensure the safety and protection of patients and other staff. Knows accidental blood exposure policy and procedure and implements them when necessary.
- Carry out all pharmacy related activities (stock control, station’s re-stocking, inventories, expired drugs, etc.) and other equipment of anaesthetic ward, doing special follow-up of narcotics and sedatives (register, consumptions, empty phials, etc.), ensuring enough stock-up and the good functioning to carry-out the medical activities. Draws up pharmacy orders according to needs.
- Collaborate with other departments within the project (responding to accident & emergency department requests, intervening in support of other services when needed, etc.), in order to support the overall MSF project with his/her expertise and capabilities.
- Carry out administrative procedures and documents (fill in of patients files, forms, statistics, data base, etc.), in order to have updated and correct information about the day-to-day activities.
- In collaboration with the Surgeon Doctor, carry out quantitative surgical-anaesthesia data collection, draw up and send out reports for the monthly follow up of peri-surgical mortality and for the quality of anaesthesia/pain management and informs immediately the direct supervisor in the event of medical error.
- Supports other medical services whenever needed, and works particularly in close collaboration with the accident and emergency department and midwifery and obstetrics team in the maternity department (specially to resuscitate newborns).
- Is the reference person for pain problems within the health facility.
- When applicable train other medical staff.
- Evaluates the risk of operating in collaboration with the Surgeon Doctor.
- Respects, promotes and ensures medical confidentiality.
- Carry-out all nursing anaesthetics related activities during surgery, according to the procedures set before-hand by the doctor anaesthetist (if any), in order collaborate in patient’s adequate anaesthetized state and safety during the process.
- Preparing beforehand the drugs, material, and equipment required.
- Administering and maintains anaesthetics following the rules of hygiene and asepsis in force.
- Monitoring patients throughout the whole intervention.
- Assist the doctor in providing post-operative care, including immediate post-operative surveillance in the recovery room (ensuring patient’s recovery of consciousness and setting analgesic protocol) and special patients present in the intensive care unit, in order to adapt the prescriptions (hydric resuscitation, anti-biotherapies, analgesics), with special focus on patient’s pain relief, during the stabilization and recovery process.
- Nursing diploma with specialization as anesthetics nurse is essential
- Registered Nurse Certificate (RN).
- Essential 1 year of previous supervised work experience as an anaesthetist nurse.
- Experience in other NGOs and /or developing countries is desirable..
- Languages Mission language essential. Local language desirable.
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet).
- Service orientation
As per the MSF salary scale (National Contract).
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should send a CV and Motivation Letter : [email protected]
Hard Copy Applications should be sent to:
MSF Spain Pulka office,
MSF Provisory Office,
In MSF Spain Offices,
Plot 394, Etang O. Obuli Street,
Off Idris Ibrahim Crescent, Jabi,
Application Deadline 25th June, 2018.
Note: Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.