Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nurse
Employment Type: Full-time
Duty Station: MSF OCA, NOMA Project
Main Objective and Responsibility of the Position:
- Providing nursing care, treatment and follow-up of patients, according to doctors prescriptions, protocols applied in service and universal hygiene standards / precautions, in order to ensure the quality and continuity of care for the targeted population.
- Knowing, promoting, implementing and following up the universal hygiene standards/ precautions, bio-hazard prevention and infection control, security rules and other protocols and procedures in the medical premises and ensuring high standards of hygiene of his/her working environment. Respecting medical secrets and confidentiality at all times.
- Organizing and carrying out care and treatments according to medical prescriptions, and assisting during consultations, daily rounds and other medical procedures. Participating in health education of the patient (and family) when necessary.
- Identifying Sexually Gender Based Violence victims and referring them to the medical team so they can receive the necessary treatment. Knowing and is aware of the importance and appropriate use of the Post Exposure Pro-phylaxis (PEP) Kit
- Ensuring patients are properly received and installed and that those with lack of autonomy are assisted, especially regarding their feeding, personal hygiene, movements and comfort. For ER and OPD nurse, ensuring triage of patients in waiting areas, wards or during emergencies, detecting the priority acute/emergency cases, carrying out first aid care and referring them to the doctor when necessary.
- Sending material to be sterilized and recuperates it from sterilization.
- Carrying out admission, surveillance and follow-up of patients (i.e. assessment of the evolution of their state of health and the identification of any emergency situation or deterioration
- Carrying and supervising administrative procedures and documents (fill in patient’s files, forms, consumptions, statistics, registers, health files, etc.), ensuring an appropriate written/oral handover, and reporting any problematic situations and cases that may arise. Participating in data collection and keeping doctors/supervisors informed.
- Participating in the department-related pharmacy and medical equipment control and maintenance (quality and its functioning, storage conditions, follow-up of expired drugs inventories, stock takes of medicines and material at every team changeover ensuring no material is taken out of nursing area/wards without prior authorisation, etc.)
- Perform cleaning and minor maintenance for biomedical equipment used. Following the user manual and protocols and alert supervisor in case of malfunctioning.
- Supervising and training nurse-aids, nutritional assistants, cleaners and other related staff under his/her supervision, ensuring teamwork and adherence to all appropriate protocols and procedures.
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities:
- Perform nursing care activities in collaboration with MoH nurses to ensure quality management of acute noma cases, pre- and post- operative care for noma patients.
- Ensure patients on admission get adequate care by: Timely response to care needs, medications, investigations, and prompt response to emergencies, follow up on care recommendation on ward rounds.
- Actively ensure the implementation of treatment protocols and hygiene procedures in the wards, work in collaboration with MOH nurses to ensure hygiene standards is maintain including provision of hygiene kits ,oral hygiene and mosquito nets for the patients.
- Ensure good communication with patients and caretakers, and promote good collaboration between the MSF medical team and the MoH departments.
- Ensure biomed and quality documentation for all medical instrument and equipment in the wards on daily basis.
- Ensure quality documentation of patients care and procedures.
- Ensure used instruments in the ward are sterilized according to standard.
- Follow up on patient’s data collection including for CRF, especially for discharged patients and those on follow up visit.
- Participate actively in the daily/weekly tracking of consumption of medical supplies to the wards and departments.
- Attend medical and department meetings as scheduled.
- Give feedback to the nurse supervisor/NAM on regular basis.
Requirements (Qualifications / Experience / Knowledge)
To apply for this role applicants MUST meet the following criteria:
- Desirable 2 years of previous experience and previous experience in other NGO’s
- Demonstrable experience in supervising and training others in a team setting.
- Local language essential. Mission language desirable.
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Behavioural Flexibility
- Commitment to MSF Principles
- Stress Management.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Deadline: 1st December, 2021.
Usage of Google Chrome Browser is recommended.
- Only applications submitted Online will be accepted.
- Lastly, only one online application form should be submitted as multiple submissions will not be considered.
- Please note only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organization.