Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996.
A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical Logistics Manager (Capital Log)
Employment Type: Full-time
Main Objective and Responsibility of the Position:
Planning, coordinating and monitoring all logistics related activities in the project or capital including all non-medical assistance related activities (shelter, food, water hygiene-sanitation and essential non-food items) and providing support to medical assistance activities, according to MSF protocols and standards in order to ensure an optimal running of the project.
- Assisting the Project Coordinator or Logistics Coordinator in the definition and follow-up of logistics activities in the project or capital, in conjunction with other medical project managers in order to identify and give a response to the needs of the targeted population in terms of construction, transport, communication, food, shelter, water and sanitation, and essential non-food items.
- Ensuring and monitoring the implementation of logistics/technical activities in the project / capital (construction, transport of goods and staff, communications, water and sanitation, vehicles and engines, equipment/installation and infrastructures, communications, etc.) ensuring compliance of MSF standards, protocols and procedures, and reporting to the Project Coordinator or LogCo on the development of the ongoing programs. This includes the following:
- Implementing all administrative related activities linked to logistics (orders, insurances, vehicle contracts, etc.).
- Participating in the planning and implementation, together with the Logistics Coordinator, the Project Coordinator and the HR Coordinator, the HR associated processes (recruitment, training, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, detection of potential, development and communication) of the logistics staff in the project / capital in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required to correctly perform all logistics activities.
- Ensuring technical reference for all logistics/technical issues in the project and providing coaching to logistics staff under his/her responsibility. Ensuring all staff in the Project is properly briefed about use of communication tools (handsets, HF/VHF, etc.).
- Ensuring installation and maintenance of functional office space(s) and lodging facilities for international staff in adequate living conditions
- Defining and monitoring technical aspects of the project risk reduction policy, transport, communication, protection, identification and preparation of the technical aspects of the project security policy and guidelines, evacuation plan and contingency plan, performing day-to day monitoring of the application of security rules and reporting to the Project Coordinator any problem that may arise. For this purpose, the Project Logistics Manager will have to create an appropriate environment to facilitate security exchange of information.
- Participating in monthly reports according to guidelines
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities:
- Continue with improvements at Abuja Capital by ensuring functioning technical logistical set up with a specific focus on implementation of standards while fostering smooth collaboration with other departments in Abuja coordination.
- Staff: while observing laid protocols, recruit, coach, train, disciplinary of the Capital logistics staff members; empower by setting up a clear line of responsibilities and communication with the senior staff ie TAS, Head Driver and Head of Skilled Labourers; follow up with HrCo on Occupational Health Safety (OSH) guidelines and invest time in implementation within the department; Training and coaching the Technical Activity Supervisor to act as a buddy for TLM.
- Safety and Security: work closely with Logistics Coordinator in ensuring teams are respecting the Mission CSSP and Abuja LSSP; provide brief security updates for all returning or new arrivals in Abuja; ensure the security software and hardware matches the minimum OCA standard requirement; ensure minimum safety standards are observed in all coordination premises with installation of 24/7 guards, electrical systems and structures are safe for occupants etc
- Facility Maintenance: evaluating and improving technical standards in the capital; evaluating needs and setting up a sustainable system of maintenance and prevention of damages of the structures and facilities in the capital; ensuring a list of prequalified service providers are selected and contracted in line with OCA mission supply logistics standard; ensuring all contracts related to premises and services linked to premises are valid; ensuring all utilities are serviced without any downtime. This includes, common security, DSTV, electricity, municipal fees etc
- Vehicle/Genset Fuel, Maintenance, Administration etc: ensure standard procedures are followed with regards to running/operating, maintenance and repairs, fuel and lubes consumption, licensing/insurance among other are also well administered in both hard/soft copies.
- Communication: working with the LogCo (dep tech) and the TAM to ensure a smooth communication and support of the other departments at coordination, with an emphasis of implementing sustainable communication lines and easy follow up; ensuring Radio room is at its optimum functioning state by securing sufficient quality HR, tools and system.
- Supply: setting up of a well maintainable grab stock system in the capital, in close collaboration with the supply and HR team; participate in defining minimum mission stock requirement is set for for vehicle & Genset spare-parts; support Mission supply team in definition of supply needs for capital and support laid supply protocols and policies.
- Control Cycle: participate in determination of Abuja Coordination budget and as well in monthly review of BCR.
- Establishing possible synergies with the other OCs, such as airport transports, or the use of mechanical workshops etc
- If necessary supporting technical logistical needs in the field, as defined by the Logistics Coordinator.
- Candidates should possess a Bachelor’s degree with 2 years work experience.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Deadline: 5th February, 2021.
- Only ONE application should be submitted as multiple applications will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview, and only successful applicants will be notified to come to start work
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organisation