Medical Research Council Unit The Gambia – The MRC Unit The Gambia at London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) is one of two research units established in sub- Saharan Africa by the Medical Research Council UK and is the MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM’s single largest investment in medical research in a low and middle income country. MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM represents a unique concentration of scientific expertise and high quality research platforms in the West African region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Health and Safety Advisor
Location: Fajara, The Gambia
- We are looking for a Health and Safety Advisor to assist the Unit’s Biological Safety Office in the management of health and safety issues relating to biological agents/materials including those associated with Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)
- The post holder will undergo Biological Safety training and thereafter ensure that appropriate risk assessments are conducted for all biological work and that a report is submitted to Biological Safety Committee for review.
- The successful candidate will receive training from the Biosafety Unit at the University of Edinburgh and the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine.
- M.Sc in Biomedical Sciences or other relevant area
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience working in biological safety duties or Biomedical laboratory
- Working knowledge of molecular biology, microbiology and general biomedical laboratory methods, procedures, latest techniques, facilities & equipment and good microbiological practices.
- The willingness and flexibility to manage and respond quickly and efficiently to unanticipated requests.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work within a team as well as a demonstrated ability to interact effectively and collegially with a diverse clientele daily.
- Ability to develop and deliver training programmes.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Willingness to travel to upcountry sites when required.
- Willingness to work flexibly as required.
- Knowledge and understanding of all relevant local and international laws, legislation and regulations, and standards for the use of biological agents.
- Knowledge of the transportation of biological materials.
- Ability to work independently, organize and prioritize work assignments.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to gather data, compile information and prepare reports.
- NEBOSH International General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety Management.
- Good understanding of health and safety management procedures relating to biological safety.
- Demonstrated computer skills and proficiency with MS Office Suite.
- An attractive salary will be paid in MRCG’s Grade 3, 26 Points at a minimum take home pay of 46, 249 Dalasi per month. This is equivalent to $943 take home pay per month using the prevailing USD/Dalasi exchange rate. Please note the salary will be paid in Dalasi and the USD/Dalasi exchange rate is only given as a guide using the prevailing exchange rate.
- For displaced staff, the package will include, rent-free furnished accommodation, flights, displacement allowances, contribution to school fees for children and shipment of personal effects.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should please download the “Application Form”. Completed application forms and documents should be e-mailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to download the Application Form (Ms Word)
- We cannot accept applications from individuals who are currently or in the last six months employed by The Gambia Government
- The appointment is up to 31st March 2021 initially and is subject to a probationary period of 6 months
Application Deadline 25th January, 2019.