Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Shelter Program Assistant
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2020/00026
Location: Bama, Borno
Program / Department Summary
- With the insurgency affecting North East Nigeria and displacing millions of people, some of the LGAs are retaken by the Nigerian Military in last couple of months where return has begun. Mercy Corps is expanding its humanitarian programming to support the returnees in Bama LGAs of Borno state. As a result of the wide-scale needs, Mercy Corps has secured ECHO funding to respond to early recovery phase to support returns to help them resume their normal life again.
General Position Summary
- The Shelter Program Assistants to directly assist shelter program Officers based in Bama. This position has an interface with Mercy CorpsТ WASH, CASH, field management, protection & gender and MEL internally while other shelter actors, , local vendors and skilled unskilled laborers externally.
Essential Job Functions
- Supervise the construction works under Shelter Officer’s guidance
- Ensure project engineering estimates and design drawings are followed during implementation.
- Follow the team work plans and project implementation plans
- Ensure program activities are implemented within the set timeline and are delivering according to the work plan.
- Supervise the construction works, and administer the works execution as per the contractual provisions and the design specifications.
- Collect and share data according to evolving needs.
- Timely reports to immediate supervisor on potential delays and/or cost overruns that can either be prevented or mitigated
- Preparation of payment certificate and work progress record for the review of the contractors
- Works closely with contractors in the field with provision of technical support and guidance.
- Ensures that items procured meet specifications of the end-user while adhering to donor and Mercy Corps procurement guidelines and in a timely manner
- Develop and maintain working relationships and coordinate with relevant international and local agencies active in the shelter working group and related coordination platforms.
- Regularly monitor program sites in order to ensure that shelter programs are adapted to local needs, provide quality control assurance, and to conduct regular audits of program activities.
- He/she would assist to develop technical components to shelter and preparation of BOQ and Estimates, Planning, Technical Details, Drawings, improve development techniques for the safer building/shelter and other all Civil and Architectural related projects.
- Support in carrying out shelter needs assessments taking into account the
- Support in the developments of shelter strategies which are framed by Mercy CorpsТs Global Strategy for Settlement and Shelter and take into consideration the local context, age and gender, culture, climate, environmental protection and the availability of local resources, including materials, capacities and existing infrastructure.
- Support in providing clear guidance on standards for shelter, including minimum emergency standards to meet basic and essential needs as well as guidance for phased improvement of shelter conditions that will be necessary as the duration of the displacement prolongs.
- Ensure that local communities and the community relief community have been consulted on all activities so as not to create unnecessary tension between the displaced and host populations.
- Support in monitoring of all shelter and infrastructure activities
- When identifying beneficiaries, ensure that the needs of the most vulnerable population of concern (POC) and host families are addressed. Mercy CorpsТ vulnerability indicators should be applied in a participatory manner during the beneficiary selection.
- When planning shelter works, ensure that the technical component reflects Sphere minimum standards for the provision of emergency and other types of shelter assistance and is within the budgetary requirements. Standards for other sectors such as water and sanitation should be taken into consideration also
- Any Other duties as assigned.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
- to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Supervisory Responsibility: None
- Reports Directly To: Shelter Program Officer
- Works Directly With: Program, MEL, Operations, and support team
Knowledge and Experience
- Diploma or BA/S in Construction, Building, Civil Engineering, or other relevant fields.
- 1-2 years of experience implementing shelter programs/ activities
- Experience with emergency Shelter programs with a view on sustainable infrastructure, Cash-for-Work programming required
- Experience working with local stakeholders required
- Good organizational and program management skills and the ability to anticipate program needs.
- Ability to effectively represent the organization and its interests to a diverse range of stakeholders, including local and international government officials, local civil society organizations, donors, other international organizations, the media and the community.
- Demonstrated proficiency with the MS Office software (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint) is required, with strong focus on Excel.
- Ability to analyze databases resulting from surveys
- Excellent oral and written English skills are an advantage, with local languages skills a bonus.
- Proven experience in working in insecure environment and through remote management.
- Fluency in English, Kanuri and Hausa languages
- Assistant must be local resident of target LGA
- The successful candidate will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive mentoring skills and proven experience with capacity building. S/he will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level. Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit no more than 4 page CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: [email protected]
Drop off application in a sealed envelope with “Shelter Program Assistant” boldly written to Mercy Corps Nigeria at Mercy Corps Office Bama, Borno State.
Application Deadline: Friday; 27th March, 2020
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number on the envelope or in the subject line if sending via email.
- CV and cover letter and should not be more than 4 pages.
- All applications must include the Position Title on the envelope and should not be more than 4 pages.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.