Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps has worked since 2012 by focusing its programming on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development, conflict mitigation, and humanitarian response.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Assistant
Program / Department Summary
- The Mercy Corps Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions in Abuja, including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance.
- The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures. In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
General Position Summary
- Under the supervision of the Senior Finance Officer, the Finance Assistant reconciles various bank accounts at the field, analyzes and reconciles items and provides staff with practical guidance on how to close these items.
- Systematically follows up long outstanding items and long outstanding open cases for bank reconciliations. Maintains appropriate finance records for the work performed.
Essential Job Functions
Follow all Mercy Corps policies, procedures, grant compliance and documentation requirements.
- Prepare and maintain filling records of all program activities and other related financial documents.
- Implement and make sure all Mercy Corps Field Finance Manual, procurement, assets
- Receive requests for funds from teams within program sites for activities, check and process requests.
- Prepare payment authorizations. Follow-up on timely disbursement of funds to the staff in these regions.
- Receive, reconcile and submit financial returns from the sub field office to Field office -finance office for account registration purposes.
- Identify and follow up on outstanding obligations.
- Match invoices/receipts with payment vouchers, GRN and other required documents.
- Prepare cash, bank and advances reconciliations and submit for review/approval every week and monthly.
- Make sure all income taxes, withholding taxes, VAT and other taxes are withheld and paid accordingly.
- Keep all finance documents and reports are properly filed, labeled and stored in a clear and easily accessible manner following FFM.
- Be adaptable and flexible to take new tasks and new assignments as requested from time to time.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission
- Receive, check and submit travel advance claims from field based
- Check and follow up on settlement of personal telephone and sat phone bills for staff.
- Keeps record of all cash, bank, advances and regularly updates
- Carries out weekly cash counts and whenever requested by the Senior Finance Officer, Finance Manager, Country Director and official auditors directed by the supervisor.
- Prints off all payment vouchers and matches with the documents to be filed.
- Pays or receives authorized bank payments and receipts.
- Makes sure all required documents are attached; calculations are correct, appropriate approvals and reviews made per the AAM before payment of any cash or bank payments.
- Enters transactions to the accounting software under the supervision of the Senior Finance Officer whenever required.
- Ensure compliance with GAAPs, Nigerian, US laws and standard accounting practice.
- Code all expenditures following the standard chart of accounts, coded budget and record to the accounting software or recording system daily and ensure weekly review and posting.
- Any Other duties as assigned
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
- to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Reports Directly To: Senior Finance Officer
- Works Directly With: Program , Operations , and support team, MC
Knowledge and Experience
- Diploma or advanced certificate or equivalent in Accounting or Finance is required.
- 1 years’ experience in handling cash and accounting.
- Computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel and accounting software experience.
- Excellent oral and written English skills
- Willing to travel to Mercy Corps offices and take temporary assignments..
- Any Finance experience is preferred.
- Accounting skills and experience in general ledger, journal entries, payroll, cash/bank mgt.
- The successful candidate will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive mentoring skills and proven experience with capacity building. S/he will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level. Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: [email protected] All applications must include the position title in the subject line.
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position
Application Deadline 19th February, 2018.