Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps has worked since 2012 by focusing its programming on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development, conflict mitigation, and humanitarian response.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Organizational Development and Grants Manager
- Mercy Corps works in fragile and conflict-affected environments. While we recognize that these are difficult places to operate, we believe that transitional environments – countries affected by civil wars, economic and political crisis, or natural disasters – offer tremendous opportunities for positive change.
- Since the late 1990s, Mercy Corps has managed over 100 peacebuilding projects in over 30 countries and regions, making Mercy Corps a true leader in the field. We currently implement 34 peacebuilding programs globally.
- In Nigeria, Mercy Corps is currently implementing several conflict management programs, focused on reducing violent conflict between farmer and pastoralist communities, preventing election-related violence, and increasing peace between religious groups.
- Mercy Corps is expanding its conflict management programs in the Middle Belt, the Northeast, the Niger Delta and Southeast of Nigeria within the Engaging Communities for Peace in Nigeria (ECPN) program, funded by the US Agency for International Development (USAID).
- This four-year program aims to reduce violence in Nigeria’s Middle Belt states by peacefully preventing and resolving farmer-pastoralist conflicts; build the capacity of influential local CSOs with mandates in peacebuilding and conflict management/mitigation.
- The two-year extension will enable Mercy Corps to guide NE-based CSOs through the full cycle of project management while utilizing an experiential approach that encourages learning-by-doing. By the end of the project, we will have built a network of local partners with the capacity to apply for grants from international donors and implement high-quality peacebuilding programs.
- This increased local capacity will enable greater local ownership of peacebuilding initiatives, and ensure more impactful and cost-efficient investments that can be sustained over the longer-term.
- The program will work with communities in select local government areas in Benue and Nasarawa states; work with select Northeast-based peacebuilding CSOs from Adamawa, Borno, Gombe and Yobe states; work with select USAID implementing partners (IPs) from Niger Delta region and Southeast Nigeria
General Position Summary
- Mercy Corps’ Engaging Communities for Peace in Nigeria (ECPN) will establish a Small Grants Fund (SGF) through which each of the selected Northeast CSOs can apply to implement projects that contribute to the overall objective of promoting peace and decreasing violence in NE Nigeria.
- The Organizational Development and Grants Manager will therefore perform variety of tasks including capacity development support to Northeast civil society organisations as well as systems and procedures for grants disbursement.
- The Organizational Development and Grants Manager will develop results-oriented strategies, design and mainstream policies, methods and tools for grant disbursement and capacity development support to Northeast civil society and partners organisations.
- The SGF process – from design, to implementation to monitoring and evaluation – is an opportunity for target Northeast CSOs to apply concepts and skills covered under the organization and technical capacity building components.
- It will be specially designed to prepare CSOs for larger funding processes, and Mercy Corps will provide coaching and support as necessary throughout the process.
- Furthermore she/he will contribute to the development of Northeast civil society networks, represent Mercy Corps/ECPN in coordination forums and liaise with relevant authorities, donors and civil society organisations.
The specific tasks will include:
- Provide technical assistance and adequate training to program staff and strategic guidance to management in regards to all aspects of organizational capacity building and grants management to local civil society organizations.
- Provide tools and methods for organisational development and community mobilization.
- Provide systems and procedures for grant disbursement to civil society partner organizations.
- Work closely with the Organizational Capacity Building Advisor and ECPN team to ensure adequate capacity is developed to support local civil society partners.
- Contribute to the development of Northeast civil society network and coordinating body and its linkages with international networks.
- Organize and lead pre-solicitation meetings for partners.
- Participate in evaluating grant applications.
- Conduct pre-award survey for potential grantees.
- Perform the initial pre-award assessments and compliance checks of local CSOs in accordance with USAID grant guidelines and procedures.
- Provide technical guidance to develop/strengthen partner organization’s administrative and financial management systems and structures.
- Support the establishment of Small Grants Fund to allow local partners to utilize the ‘learning by doing’ approach and prepare them for larger funding processes.
- Perform other tasks within the field of competency as assigned by the Organizational Capacity Building Advisor.
- Contributes to ongoing strategic communication; solicits support and feedback from Senior Program Manger and Director of Development Programs as needed.
- Review and monitor partners’ progress in achieving technical objectives.
- Compile regular reports in conjunction with project Manager and Capacity Building Advisor.
- Facilitate internal self-assessment process for local partners using the adapted Mercy Corps’ Organizational Capacity Index tool.
- Assist in coordinating trainings for CSOs staff on any newly introduced service packages aimed to help CSOs to successfully implement their activities in compliance with relevant donor policies and procedures.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
- Master’s Degree, or equivalent, in relevant professional field, preferably in Political Sciences, Development Studies, Social Sciences, International Relations or Economics.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English required, including report development, writing and editing.
- Organizational and time management skills.
- Willingness to frequently travel to the field.
- At least five years of relevant work experience within the civil society in management positions.
- Experience working in Nigeria, particularly in the Northeast.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Knowledge of international conflict prevention approaches and peacebuilding organizations is a plus.
- Ability to work in emotionally stressful context while respecting security considerations and operational boundaries.
- Strong ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
- Able to adapt to different cultures and communication styles, as well as to establish and maintain effective and productive working relationship with colleagues from varying cultures, functions, organizations and positions.
- Solid project cycle management experience including scope design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, tracking budgets, and producing detailed reports.
- Flexibility and adaptability in managing and prioritizing high workloads, multiple tasks, and multiple teams in a fast paced environment.
- Strong understanding of the project management cycle.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of and practical experience of working with results-based management principles, in particular outcome analysis and results analysis.
- Sound understanding of strategy, policy and method development to strengthen emerging civil society actors.
- Demonstrated leadership/management skills including staff and budget responsibilities.
- Excellent command of English.
- Understanding and practical experience of capacity development of civil society actors.
- Practical experience of USAID grant disbursement procedures and processes.
- Knowledge of and practical experience on capacity building and mentorship for local CSOs.
- ECPN Senior Project Officers
- Reports Directly To: Organizational Capacity Building Advisor
- Works Directly With: Staff at partner organization, finance and compliance department, ECPN Senior Program Manager.
- The successful Organizational Development and Grants Manager will combine exceptional implementation and technical skills with a focus on innovative interventions to capacity building for CSOs in Nigeria.
- An ideal candidate will be conversant with the challenges inherent in peacebuilding work and will be a self-starter who has led grassroots development efforts. Multi-tasking, prioritizing, problem solving and simultaneous attention to detail and strategic vision are essential.
- The candidate must have excellent attention to detail.
Living Conditions/Environmental Conditions
- The position will be based in Abuja and will require initiating and implementing activities in the states of Benue, Nasarawa, Kaduna, Plateau, Borno, Yobe, Adamawa, Gombe, the Niger Delta and the Southeast of Nigeria with an estimated travel of up to 50% to program locations.
- As part of Mercy Corps’ agency-wide Organizational Learning Initiative, all team members are responsible for spending 5% of their work time in formal and/or non-formal professional learning activities.
- Mercy Corps staff represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s and Cover Letters in one document, addressing the position requirements to: [email protected]
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line and not more than 4 pages.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity organization and we strongly encourage women to apply for this position
Application Deadline 21st November, 2017.