Mercy Corps, An International Humanitarian Organization is looking for a suitable candidate to fill a very strategic position within ENGINE team in Abuja. We are looking for motivated individuals, who are enthusiastic about the work we do and are looking to work within a dynamic team in the capacity below:
Job Title: Project Manager – Girls Opportunities for Advancing Literacy 2 (GOAL 2)
- We are looking for a motivated individual, who is enthusiastic about the work we do and is looking to work within a dynamic team. Girls’ Opportunities for Advancing Literacy 2 (GOAL 2) will ensure that Adolescent girls (15-19) across Kano state are better equipped for the school-to-work transition as a result of improved financial literacy, vocational choices and life skills. GOAL 1 successfully identified methods to improve girls’ confidence and knowledge around employment and financial literacy with 1,800 girls in 13 schools. Girls who received counselling and training on financial literacy and work force preparedness improved their confidence in education and entering the workforce. They were also better able to articulate their life goals and manage their money.
- GOAL 2 will scale key activities from phase one across Kano state, with potential to reach up to 253,712 girls in 969 government junior and senior secondary schools. Activities will focus on embedding quality financial literacy education and counselling within key local institutions including the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (MoEST), the Kano State Secondary School Management Board (KSSSMB) and the Kano Educational Resource Department (KERD). GOAL 2 will focus on two objectives:
1.) Pillar One (Financial Literacy): Secondary school teachers provide systemic and quality instruction on financial literacy to girls across Kano state.
2.) Pillar Two (Quality Guidance Counselling Services): Ministry of Education in Kano recognizes and systematically supports professional guidance counselling services as valuable resources for girls.
General Position Summary
- The Project Manager will provide overall leadership, management and strategic vision to the implementation of the GOAL 2 program, managing staff, strategic relationships, partners and resources to ensure that the program meets performance-based targets on-time and within budget.
- The Project Manager will coordinate with other donor funded programming to link adolescent girls with GOAL activities. The Project Manager will supervise and build the capacity of program staff and ensure accountability to Mercy Corps policies and donor rules and regulations.
- S/he will be the representative to donors, relevant government entities, and public and private sector partners.
The Project Manager will be responsible for the following activities in Kano:
Financial Literacy Pillar:
- Dissemination of financial literacy manuals to teachers via principals
- Implementation of training of trainers by Mercy Corps for KERD staff (who will replicate training to teachers)
- Embedding Mercy Corps’ Senior Project Officer on Financial Literacy in KERD structure to enable close collaboration and mentoring
- Further delivery of training directly to 1,250 teachers (of business, economics and commerce courses) by KERD staff
- Developing mechanisms to monitor staff and student performance on financial literacy. This activity will focus both on collection and use of data to enable efficient policy making and advocacy for resources that supports the empowerment of marginalized girls.
- Communications strategies to share Kano’s successes and lessons learned in improving financial literacy at a national level (with a focus on syncing with the CBN’s financial inclusion strategy)
- Support from Mercy Corps to KERD staff to implement M&E tools and Management Information System (MIS).
Pillar Two: Guidance Counselling
- Sign a MoU with the deputy governor of Kano state to endorse work on guidance counselling through GOAL 2.
- Embed Mercy Corps’ Senior Project Officer on Guidance Counselling in KSSMB structure to enable close collaboration and mentoring.
- Develop a dissemination plan to share the “Practical Instruction and Training Guide for Secondary School Guidance Counsellors” (developed in GOAL 1), to offer counsellors an overview of their role and responsibilities.
- Conduct dialogue to identify remaining gaps in resources and support for counselling, with a focus on adolescent girl educational, personal-social and financial/vocational needs, and incorporation of successful approaches used in the “safe space” model.
- Strategic planning for roll out of support materials for guidance counsellors, and technical support from the ministry (in close coordination with KSSMB zonal desk officers).
- Development of monitoring and evaluation tools and systems to monitor the quality of counselling.
- Support from Mercy Corps to KSSMB staff to implement M&E tools and Management Information System (MIS).
Essential Job Functions
- Ensure effective implementation of the GOAL 2 program, including meeting deliverables on time, within budget, and according to Mercy Corps and client standards.
- Ensure GOAL 2 is responsive to Nigerian girls and education sector needs. This includes implementation partners and aligned with Mercy Corps principles, values and strategic plan.
- Monitor adherence to grant agreement, Mercy Corps and client policies and procedures and relevant external rules and regulations.
- Oversee performance of any project partners and conduct frequent field visits to project activities. Problem-solve with partners when needed.
- Ensure implementation of activities is on time, target and budget, using effective systems to reach desired impacts in order to assess program effectiveness and impact and propose recommendations for improvements.
- Implement and model Mercy Corps’ philosophy of social entrepreneurship and leverage Mercy Corps’ best practices.
- Advocate for the inclusion of marginalized girls and for girls to be active in non-traditional sectors at the household and community level.
- In collaboration with the M&E staff, design and implement relevant surveys, need assessments, data and information collection for on-going monitoring.
- Maintains links and keep current on up-to-date best practices around innovative strategies of Savings Groups and promoting girl’s school to work transition; disseminate technical information and assistance where necessary.
- Demonstrate flexibility, resilience and ability to maintain positive relationships and composure.
- Maintain high ethical standards and treat people with respect and dignity.
- Demonstrate an awareness of his/her own strengths and development needs.
- Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) and Reporting
- Facilitate the achievement of performance-based targets and outcomes and lead efforts to design effective, proactive, and iterative M&E systems.
- Oversee the production of high-quality program reports in a timely and efficient manner.
- Ensure that M&E team members focus on assisting programs to generate practical information that can be used for ongoing program decision-making while also capturing results at the impact level.
- Represent Mercy Corps at government, donor, NGO and other relevant events in the field, in close coordination with the Mercy Corps’ Nigeria Country Representative.
- Coordinate activities with implementing partners, local government as well as with other Mercy Corps programs in Nigeria.
- Implement performance planning and management systems, establish performance expectations with team members, and regularly provide constructive feedback on team members’ performance.
- Promote accountability by conducting staff annual performance reviews and ensure that supervisory staff does the same.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
Program Support Operations:
- Coordinate with program, finance, operations, and administration staff to ensure effective systems are in place to support field activities including logistics, procurement, security, administration and human resources.
- Help design operational policies and practices as needed and in accordance with Mercy Corps regulations.
Required Skills and Experience
- Excellent oral, written, presentation and communications skills in English are required
- MA/MSc or equivalent in Education, Management, Social Sciences, International Development or other relevant field.
- A minimum of 7 years of experience including 3 years in a senior management or technical advisory role on large, education, gender- focused, skills building program.
- Experience successfully engaging with Nigerian education authorities, ministries and institutions essential.
- Experience in Northern Nigeria strongly essential.
- Experience managing interventions in gender-related programming, with focus on girls.
- Experience of training and building capacity on girl-centered programming. Prefer expertise in at least one of the following areas: financial literacy/inclusion or counselling.
- Deep understanding of the challenges facing girls in Nigeria.
- High attention to detail and ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English required, including report development, writing and editing. Hausa language skills essential.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.