Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future.
In Nigeria, Mercy Corps works in 13 states within the key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Dialogue Training Consultant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- The Northeast Conflict Management and Stabilization (NE-CMS) Program is funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID)) with the aim of reducing violence and insecurity in Borno State
- The program is an expansion from a pilot phase implemented by a consortium from August 2016 to March 2017 and is currently being implemented by a consortium with multiple partners both international and national with Mercy Corps as the lead. The program operates across 20 communities in 5 LGAs and will run until July2021.
- As such, NE-CMS program envisions the following result:
- Citizens more civically engaged, and civilian government and security forces are more transparent and inclusive in addressing community needs around service delivery and protection
- Communities and citizen security forces have improved capacities to protect civilians in conflict.
- Communities demonstrate improved trust and social cohesion within and between actors at the local level.
- Local decision-making spaces and peacebuilding processes are equitable and inclusive of marginalized social groups, especially youth and women.
- In November 2018, Mercy Corps and local implementing partners facilitated foundational dialogue trainings for all members of local Conflict Management Committees (CMCs) on topics including:
- Understanding conflict, its dynamics, spillovers effects, causes and escalation;
- Constructive communication, empathy and collaboration;
- Engaging in dialogue for relationship building and understanding; and
- Utilizing approaches for dialogue facilitation. Since then, local partners have mentored CMCs to apply their analytical, communication, and facilitation skills to conduct monthly local dialogue forums on conflict issues particular to their communities
- To date, CMCs & GGC have conducted over 10 forums in each of their communities and have begun implementing joint actions between conflict parties with the exception of Pulka which is a new location in the program.
- The Consultant will conduct a ToT for NECMS local partners on dialogue facilitation skills and also work to support Outcome 1 & 3 by conducting a series of dialogue refresher between the CMC & GGC aimed at promoting cross-learning and building the capacity of local Conflict Management Committees and Conflict Management Committee to participate in and facilitate dialogue forums that can create an inclusive space for mutual understanding and trust building
- Local Committees will be expected to engage in dialogue with various identity groups within communities, respectively.
The Consultant will:
- Review pre-training needs assessments to synthesize the particular capacity gaps among local partners, CMC & GGC members
- Develop/refine training materials, including the agenda, facilitation guide, and other materials and resources related to content and exercises in close collaboration with Program Manager.
- Facilitate a 3-days dialogue facilitation training for local Conflict Management Committee and Good Governance Committee member across the five (5) LGAs
- Write a final training report on key outcomes.
Deliverables and Timeframe
- Training Agenda, Facilitation Guide, Materials – 25th November, 2019
- Trainings – 28th November, 2019
- Training Report – 22nd December, 2019.
Total Level of Effort:
The Consultant will report to:
The Consultant will work closely with:
- Senior Conflict Management and Reconciliation Officer, Partnership Manager, NE-CMS local implementing partners
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications in a single folder with the following contents below to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
- CV, detailing previous training experience and highlighting trainings related to conflict management, dialogue, or mediation
- 2 training reports from trainings previously facilitated, OR a Cover Letter describing 3 previous training experiences
- Daily consultancy rate.Job for Dialogue Training Consultant at Mercy Corps Nigeria
Application Deadline: 5:30pm, 25th November, 2019