Empowering the Teachers is a teaching fellowship that enables outstanding young Nigerian faculty in science and engineering to collaborate with faculty at the Massachusetts institute of Technology (MIT) in developing new curriculum and teaching methods. The program is offered by the MIT international Science and Technology Initiatives (MISTI) together with its corporate partner Total E& P Nigeria ltd. The director of the program is Professor Akintunde lbitayo Akinwande, Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at MIT.
MISTI Africa Empowering the Teachers Program 2015
- Empowering the Teachers will select up to twelve outstanding young faculty fellows from the disciplines of electrical engineering, computer science, computer engineering and mechanical engineering from Nigerian universities to spend a semester at MIT in 2015.
- Selected fellows will observe instruction in their disciplines and work as a group to prepare innovative curricula and approaches to teaching that can be introduced into their home universities on their return.
- Empowering the Teachers will cover the travel, living and instructional materials expenses of the participants The home universities of the successful applicants will commit to provide paid leaves of absence during the period of the MIT program.
- The young faculty selected to participate in the Empowering the Teachers program will spend either the spring 2015 (February-May) or fall 2015 (September-December) semester at MIT observing classes similar to ones they themselves currently teach.
- They will work on new curricular materials and teaching approaches for adoptIon in their own classes. During their stay at MIT4 they will participate regularly in at least two MIT subjects (including lectures, recitations and tutorials) that correspond to courses the faculty members teach at their home universities.
- They will attend weekly Empowering the Teachers Fellows Seminar meetings on curriculum development and meet with professors and teaching assistants, Beyond the fellowship semester at MIT, Empowering the Teachers will support online communications, periodic reunions and meetings in Nigeria in order to build over time a community of faculty devoted to excellence and innovation in science and engineering education.
- Empowering the Teachers welcomes applications from all qualified faculty who are Interested in developing new curriculum and teaching methods.
- To be eligible for consideration for selection, a faculty member must hold a PhD and teach in a department corresponding to Electrical Engineering and Computer Science or Mechanical Engineering at a university in Nigeria.
- Only candidates at the level of Lecturer One rank will be considered.
Application Closing Date
Sunday July 6, 2014 5pm EST
Method of Application
To apply, please complete the following program application; then send:
a.) This completed Application Form and
b.) A copy of your current curriculum vitae (please include which coding languages you know how to use) as attachments in ONE email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
c.) Empowering the Teachers Fellowship 2015 Profile should be submitted via Google Docs: http://tinyurl.com/oyvrcf2
Click here for more information on how to fill application form
Note: Incomplete applications will “not” be considered. Please specify which semester you prefer: Spring (Feb-May)/ Fall (Sept-Dec).
An MIT committee will establish a list of top candidates. Candidates from Nigeria will be interviewed in Abuja by MIT faculty and representatives from Total E&P during August 11-14, 2014. If selected for interviews, you will be notified of your date and time slot the week of August 4. Please send any questions to: email@example.com