The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters, NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Shelter Coordinator
Ref. no.: 3625379099
Candidates: Nigerian nationals only
- NRC is looking for a Shelter Coordinator for our area office in Maiduguri in Northern Nigeria.
- The purpose of the Shelter Coordinator is to implement shelter activities in Maiduguri and support the implementation of Shelter activities in the field offices
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Ensure project data collection and management and work closely with M&E to update relevant NRC tools (GORS, Internal Database, achievement and progress of project log frames)
- Contribute to the design of technical implementation documents for Shelter projects
- Contribute to donor reports
- Contribute to finding solutions to implementation challenges and constraints in a changing context
- Regular visits to the area and sites of implementation for quality checks the of the ongoing and completed works, make correction and provide relevant recommendations.
- Line management of Shelter project field staff
- Contribute to Shelter strategy development, project proposals and provide input on needs and gaps
- Manage and implement delegated portfolio of Shelter projects (activities, budget and project documentation) as delegated from PDM in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality
- Provide regular progress reports to PDM
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in the activities
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills
- Record and document good practices, lesson learned and establish a database in coordination with M&E to capture Shelter program performance.
- In coordination with the shelter PDM, represent NRC in coordination meetings with local authorities and NGOs when required
- The Shelter Coordinator reports to the Shelter Programme Development Manager.
- University Degree in Civil Engineering or any related field
- Minimum 3 years’ experience from working with /NFI, houses construction/repair projects in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Knowledge of the context in North Eastern Nigeria
- Knowledge of the local language Kanuri, Hausa
- Knowledge of emergency, transitional and permanent construction requirements and protocols
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- University degree in civil engineering or architecture
- Experience household training in and infrastructure maintenance
- Familiarity with international minimum standards of service delivery (i.e., SPHERE) is an advantage
- Familiarity with AutoCAD, GPS, ARC GIS and Google Earth is strongly desirable
- Experience with start-up, exit or similar
- Handling insecure environments
- Planning and delivering results
- A good sense of humour is an asset
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
- Commencement: December 2017
- Duration: 12 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions.
- Level: Grade 7 in the NRC grade structure
- Duty station: Maiduguri, with frequent travels. Travel outside Maiduguri is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to Apply
- Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start.
- You are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location.
Application Deadline 30th November, 2017.