The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Media and Communication Coordinator
Location: Maiduguri – Borno
- In the coming months, the main focus for NRC would be conflict affected populations including IDPs, returnees and the local communities in Borno and surrounding North-eastern states of Nigerian.
- NRC is therefore looking for a Media and Communication Coordinator in our Area office in Maiduguri, Nigeria.
- The purpose of the Media and Communication Coordinator is to manage the media portfolio and support the programme strategy implementation process as well as the support functions portfolio.
- The Media and Communication Coordinator reports to the Area Manager.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Member of the Area Management Team
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and handbooks and donor/auditor requirements
- Provide input on communication support to programme in the various Core Competencies.
- Support the Protection and Advocacy Adviser in development and implementation of new country communications strategy in line with the NRC Global Communications strategy.
- Responsible for technical capacity building of programme staff to produce high quality communication materials
- Prepare Status Reports as required by Management.
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Responsible for ensuring production of quality media and communications materials for both internal and external audiences.
- Responsible for press releases and media products to support membership initiatives
- Maintain list of media and establish professional media relationships for NRC in Nigeria.
- Produce communication and information products including annual/quarterly reports and initial drafts of articles for strategies, reports, press releases, newsletters etc.
- Ensure media monitoring and share its analysis periodically with management and staff.
- Support project/program communication products in liaison with project teams ensuring adherence to NRC standard communication and branding guidelines.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience from working with media and communication projects in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- University Degree in Media and Communication or other relevant educational background combined with relevant professional experience
- Experience from working as a Media or Communication Coordinator in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Knowledge of the humanitarian sector
- Experience in producing varied communication materials
- Experience with coordinating communication and media content
- Working against tight deadlines and ensuring high quality standards
- Demonstrated ability or experience in finding new creative media angles and new platforms to present communications work.
- Experience in developing and using a variety of social media platforms
- Experience in building relationships.
- Fluency in English and Hausa, both written and verbal
- Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience
- Strong communication, coordination and representational skills.
- Contextual knowledge of north east Nigeria is an asset.
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
- Communicating with impact and respect
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
- Highest standards of ethics and integrity
- Ability to work in insecure environments
- Commencement: As soon as possible
- Contract period: One year starting September 2017 (with possibility of extension)
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s directions (GL 7 Step 1)
- Duty station: Maiduguri, Borno State (Involves travelling to a large degree)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Application letters, updated CV’s to: [email protected] The title of the position (Coordinator – Media and Communication) must be indicated in the subject line of your e-mail.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- To apply at NRC is FREE!!!
- NRC does not ask for money or any form of favour for submission of application or employment.
- The Norwegian Refugee Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Women are particularly encouraged to apply to this position.
Application Deadline: 14th September, 2017.