Nuru Nigeria is a local NGO with affiliates in the US, Kenya, and Ethiopia. Our mission is to build resilience corridors of strong, locally owned farmer cooperatives driving profitable livelihoods in vulnerable communities of the Northeast. Nuru Nigeria prioritizes the smallholder farmers it serves and works to cultivate lasting meaningful choices through a community led, community driven and community sustained livelihood programs across the agriculture value chain. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Training Assistant
Location: Nuru Nigeria Field Offices (Gombi/HongMichika), Adamawa
Job Code: NNJ.2021.07
Employment Type: Full-time
Career Level: Mid-Level
Start Date: As soon as possible
- Nuru Nigeria is a local NGO with affiliates in the US, Kenya, and Ethiopia. Our mission is to build resilience corridors of strong, locally owned farmer cooperatives driving profitable livelihoods in vulnerable communities of the Northeast.
- Nuru Nigeria prioritizes the smallholder farmers it serves and works to cultivate lasting meaningful choices through a community led, community driven and community sustained livelihood programs across the agriculture value chain.
- Supports the implementation of Nuru Nigeria innovative Leadership Program in Nigeria by providing training, development, and capacity-building for staff, farmer organization members, and other community stakeholders. In collaboration with other leadership team, coordinate training and ensure that training content aligns with Nuru Nigeria’s participatory approach.
- Facilitate training on leadership, management, farmer organization management and training best practices for Nigeria staff, farmer organizations’ members and relevant government stakeholders. Ensure that training focuses on both leadership and technical focused content.
Reporting and Supervision:
- The Training Assistant will report to the Deputy Chief of Party.
Training and Facilitation:
- Provide support and facilitate various capacity-development trainings for staff and farmer association members.
- Support in facilitating training, workshops, and community discussions using participatory and interactive methodology to ensure active participant engagement.
- Conduct TOT sessions for Lead Farmers and work closely with field officers to improve their facilitation skills.
- Support to ensure that training logistics are prepared and available before the start of training and all through the workshop sessions.
- Assist and work closely with Training Officers to execute training sessions for farmer association and any community engagement.
- Assist Training Officer in conducting pre and post assessments, complete feedback forms, enter data, and take notes during debriefs on training outcomes.
- Ensure training attendance are conducted for participants during training sessions
- Adapt training facilitation techniques to improve training effectiveness.
- Conduct observations of training sessions for providing further assistance and support.
- Support implementation of leadership program activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop Nuru Nigeria programs.
Farmer association/organization coordination:
- Collaborate with the Impact team to organize, coordinate and report farmer association/organization activities from communities assigned.
- Supervise the leadership activities of the farmer association/organization officials by organizing quarterly meetings.
- In collaboration with other programs team, ensure ALL FA activities in the communities of intervention are fully monitored and reported.
- Sharing of weekly reports of FA activities from the intervention communities.
- Visits the said communities Mondays to Thursdays and have Fridays to be at the office all through to compile and share reports.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Agric-Education, Agric Extension, Community Development, Social Science, and other related fields.
- 1 – 3 years’ experience in low-literate capacity-building, rural community development and leadership.
- Proven track record of effective and successful facilitation.
- Demonstrated ability, experience, and conviction to operate in both office and field setting, and desire to work in remote, rural setting.
- Experience with capacity building and training for farmers, rural livelihood participants, and farmer organization members.
- Experience training adult learners.
- Excellent critical thinking skills and demonstrated experience with strategic planning.
- Fluency in English and Hausa languages is a must.
- Experience working with gender mainstreaming, designing gender sensitive trainings and workshop discussions for community members.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Advanced computer skills (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Internet, Google Applications, etc.); familiarity and comfort using basic mobile technology
- Commitment to Client’s vision and servant leadership values anchored on the conviction of selfless service, forthrightness and down-to-earth.
- Basic understanding of servant leadership principles and willingness to grow in this area.
- Initiative and ability to prioritize, multitask, and carry out responsibilities independently in the absence of a supervisor and/or without close supervision.
- Certificates in participatory ToT, leadership, rural adult education or other training credentials are an asset.
- Experience training in the specific areas of leadership, cooperatives, rural livelihoods, agriculture, social services, and/or behavior change is an asset.
- Knowledge and experience of cultural, gender, and economic dynamics of Northeast Nigeria is an asset.
- Fluency in local dialects of Kamwe, Huna, Kilba, and Margi is desired.
Nuru Nigeria Offers:
- Salary is competitive depending on qualifications, skills and experience.
- Positive atmosphere of dynamism and motivated team setting.
- Atmosphere of a forefront professional and flexible NGO with a unique new development approach.
- Annual, Maternity and Paternity leave benefits.
- Transport costs and communication allowance.
- 13th Month Salary
- Training and capacity building program and intensive mentorship by expat team.
- Life Insurance covering accident, disability, and related benefits
- Health Insurance covering employee and family.
- Pension benefits.
- Atmosphere of diversity committed to providing equal employment opportunity, forbidding discrimination based on race, colour, religion, gender, national or ethnic origin, age and differently able, with respect to policies and visions.
- Other Labour best practices apply.
Terms and Conditions:
- The appointment will be for a period of one year, renewable based on funding and performance.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Cover Letter and Resume / CV to: email@example.com Please reference the Job Title and Location on the subject line.
Application Deadline: 16 August, 2021T
Non-discriminatory employment clause:
- Applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of ethnicity, colour, gender, religion, socio-economic status,age,disability or health status.
- The management of Nuru Nigeria reserves the right to verify all of the applicant’s information and conduct background checks on shortlisted candidates including reaching out to his/her previous employer
- Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.