One Acre Fund – Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. Our 8,000+ team is drawn from diverse backgrounds and professions. With operations across six core countries in Africa, we make farmers more prosperous by providing quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. On average, the farmers we serve harvest 50 per cent more food after working with One Acre Fund. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Tupande Data Engineer
Location: Kakamega, Kenya
Preferred Start Date: As soon as possible
About the Role:
- One Acre Fund plans to serve 10 million farmers by 2030. To reach this goal, leaders across all of ourbusiness units need access to timely and actionable data. As a member of the Business Intelligence (BI) team, you’ll partner with leaders across the organization to identify strategic opportunities for data to drive value for our farmers.
- You’ll work with members of the tech division and data engineers to build our data warehouse, create datasets, and design dashboard and reporting solutions.
- You’ll become an expert on our data and its source systems through your work. At the root of it, you will identify the most effective ways to get data into the hands of decision-makers with the highest possible value addition; and then you’ll do it from start to finish.
- As a successful candidate, you’ll be comfortable building relationships in a multi-country, cross-cultural environment and enjoy the challenge of designing global solutions that work in unique and complex local country contexts.
- You’ll work with both technical and non-technical peers. We’re looking for someone who will love working with data and seeing the results improve the lives of millions of farmers.
- Create an ETL package to pull impact data into our warehouse; perform transformations to create project-specific datasets, and design a portal to share with external researchers
- Strategically expand self-service BI, empowering users across all teams to access data directly – we believe in getting data into the hands of those who know it best
- Identifying data gaps within the Kenya program. Then designing pipelines to pull the data from source systems into our data warehouse, perform transformations and make it available to data analysts/scientists
- Optimize SQL queries to improve report performance
- Create a UAT strategy in coordination with our stakeholders; drive testing requirements for a new dataset in the data warehouse; and build confidence in the accuracy of our data across the organization
Career Growth and Development:
- We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance.
- We hold career reviews every six months and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals.
- You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for. For this role specifically, you will have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Economics, Statistics, Finance, or a related technical field
- 3+ years of work experience or equivalent skills
- Technical knowledge:
- BI platforms: preferably Power BI; Superset, Metabase
- ETL: building and testing ETL packages in SSIS, Jupyter notebooks, Kafka, Spark etc
- SQL: write complex, optimized queries with large relational datasets
- Programming Languages: Python, R
- Data Warehouse/Lake solutions: MSSQL, Snowflake, Azure Data Lake
- Data Modeling: SQL and NoSQL data
- Project management and collaboration skills
- Fluency in English required
- This role is only open to citizens or permanent residents of Kenya
Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
23rd April, 2023.
- One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process.
- Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here: (email@example.com), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI), and anti-racism are deeply connected to our organization’s mission and purpose.
- One Acre Fund aspires to build a culture where all staff feel consistently valued, represented, and connected – so that our team can thrive as professionals, and achieve exceptional impact for the farmers we serve.
- We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal-opportunity workplace.