UNDP Nigeria is the United Nations Development Programme. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Operations Assistant
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 02-May-2011
Under the overall guidance of UNAIDS Country Coordinator and supervision of the Operations Officer, the Operations Assistant assists in the overall management of administrative services, administers and executes processes and transactions ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Operations Assistant promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
The Operations Assistant works in close collaboration with the Operations, Programme and Projects staff in the CO and other UN agencies staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
The functions/duties/ key results of this job description are generic and not all duties are carried out by all Operations Assistant
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of operational strategies
- Efficient administrative support
- Support to supply and assets management
- Support to administrative and financial control and resource mobilisation
- Support to common services
- Coordination of Registry and Receptionist functions
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1. Ensures implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Provision of inputs to the CO administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Preparation of administrative team results-oriented workplans.
2. Ensures efficient administrative support , focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization and coordination of shipments and customs clearance
- Coordination of travel arrangements. Following up with UNDP Operations Unit and through ATLAS to ensure that adequate arrangement are made for travels and other administrative expenses
- Organization of procurement processes within UN/UNDP acceptable operations standard with proper documentations viz; receipts of quotations, bids or proposals, their preliminary evaluation and drafting/preparation of job order.
- Organization of workshops, conferences, retreats
- Coordination of DSA, travel agencies, and other administrative surveys, surveys for organization of common services.
- Support with protocol matters, registration of staff, coordination with local authority on space and other administrative matters.
- Supervision of cleaning services.
- Coordination of transportation services, regular vehicle maintenance and insurance.
- Checking and certifying of vehicle daily log and gas consumption, update and maintenance of vehicle history report.
- Prompt reporting and investigation of cases of vehicle accidents, damage, loss or theft of items; update and maintenance of vehicle history report.
- Research and retrieval of statistical data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports.
3. Provides support to proper supply and assets management, focusing on achievement of the following result:
- Coordination of assets management in the CO, timely preparation and submission of periodic inventory reports
- Coordination of the provision of reliable and quality office supplies
4. Provides support for effective administrative and financial control and resource mobilization, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of administrative control records such as commitments and expenditures.
- Confirmation of availability of funds prior to review by supervisor; creation of vendor set-up information in Atlas in collaboration with UNDP operations.
- Review of Contributions agreement and managing contribution in ATLAS
- Coordination of common premises/services cost-recovery arrangements.
- Proper control of supporting documents of funds and activities.
- Provision of the information for the audit.
5. Ensures proper common services focusing on achievement of the following result:
- Maintenance of common services/office space management to ensure integrated activities on common services and implementation of the UN reform.
- Ensure that UNAIDS interests are considered in the UN common system activities including cost sharing arrangements, salary surveys & interagency operation meetings
6. Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Training of staff on the administrative procedures
- Briefing/debriefing of staff members on issues relating to area of work
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions
- Ability to extract, interpret, analyze data and resolve operational problems
- Ability to supervise and train support staff
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations
- Strong IT skills, knowledge of Atlas
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new system
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
Required Skills and Experience
Secondary School certificate required, University Degree or its Equivalent in Science, Management, or Administration desirable
3 to 5 years of relevant experience in administration or programme support service in NGO or the United Nations System is desirable. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.). Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.
8th April, 2011
Method of Application
Applications should be submitted online
Click here to apply online