Mercy Corps, An International Humanitarian Organization is looking for a suitable candidate to fill a very strategic position within ENGINE team in Abuja. We are looking for motivated individuals, who are enthusiastic about the work we do and are looking to work within a dynamic team in the capacity below:
Job Title: Operations Officer (Humanitarian)
Location: Biu (Borno) or Yola (Adamawa)
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since December 2012, focusing its interventions on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development and conflict mitigation. In mid-2014 Mercy Corps has decided to address the rising humanitarian needs among displaced households and vulnerable host communities by in the north east Nigeria and started its humanitarian program.
- With funding from humanitarian donors including OFDA, FFP, EU and ECHO the humanitarian program has been focusing on food assistance, non-food items distribution, protection, livelihoods support, WASH and capacity building of humanitarian response actors.
- All Mercy Corps interventions in Nigeria are implemented in a conflict and gender sensitive manner.
General Position Summary
- The Operations Officer provides day-to-day support to the program operations in the north – east, under the direct supervision of the Head of Office based in As part of his/her responsibilities the Operations Officer will undertake tasks under procurement, administration and logistics, working in close collaboration with the finance and program teams based out of Yola or Biu.
- S/he will promptly and effectively provide all required support to programs so to deliver the assistance to beneficiaries in a timely, compliant and transparent manner.
Essential Job Functions
- Coordinates daily Mercy Corps (MC) procurement activities, with respect to internal procedures.
- Possesses a full understanding of MC procurement policies and formats. Provide training to new staff on these policies and provided refresher training as gap in staff knowledge are identified;
- Assists staff as needed on creating clear and understandable purchase requests (PR) and other documentation;
- Collects quotations and bids from the market for PR-s with support from Senior Procurement & Logistics Officer in Abuja – as per Mercy Corps standards and formats;
- Maintains PR Master Lists and shares with staff on weekly bases.
- Interact with vendors during collection of quotations – explain Mercy Corps formats and ensure that vendors will use the provided forms.
- Ensures fair competition and strictly adhere to Mercy Corps procurement rules regarding vendor relations as described by Mercy Corps
- Interacts with contractors, in coordination with the Senior Procurement & Logistics Officer, Operations Manager and Program Coordinator
- Ensures that the required documentation of supplies and transactions are completed to Mercy Corps standards. Maintains and updates the procurement files
- Raise payment request for vendor’s payments and monitor the status of each payment.
During procurement the Operations Officer will:
- Always accord prompt and courteous reception and fair and equal treatment to all vendors/suppliers and their representatives.
- Provide equal opportunity for vendors/suppliers to make price and specification quotations.
- Guarantee the confidentiality of all specifications and price quotations made by vendors/suppliers.
- Decline to take advantage of vendors/suppliers’ errors, and show consideration for vendors/suppliers’ difficulties by co-operating with them whenever possible.
- Avoid subjecting vendors/suppliers to needless expense or inconvenience when requesting quotations or returning goods.
- Explain as clearly and fully as possible to vendors/suppliers the reason(s) for the rejection of their bids/proposals.
- Remain scrupulously free of obligations to any vendor/supplier.
- Remain informed about sources of supply, methods, services and materials and encourage vendors/suppliers to test and develop improved or expanded products and services.
- Inform vendors/suppliers about current and anticipated requirements.
- Assists the Asset Controller with asset management. Identify assets during the course of procurement and notify the Asset Controller on receipts of assets; maintain assets registry.
- Participates in regular assets inventory and checks.
- Ensures that all the assets are maintained and in good condition. Check assets stickers regularly.
- Oversees the vehicles movement plans;
- Ensures that Mercy Corps vehicles are maintained and fully operational all the time
- Maintains vehicles documentation, including log sheets, repairs logs and schedules
- Monitors vehicles and generator fuel consumption
- Oversees the generator and inverter operation, monitoring the servicing schedule
Administration & Other:
- Liaises with country office on renewal of office rental agreements.
- Establishes and maintain appropriate filing systems for office correspondence. Receive and dispatch mail.
- Ensures that the office is run in a professional and responsible manner including hosting guests, cleaning, receptionist duties and general contact and liaison with outside agencies.
- Ensures that office has sufficient office supplies.
- Co-ordinates any other necessary administrative and office management details.
- Makes all necessary travel and logging arrangements for Gombe visitors
- Oversee the management of office consumable (office materials like: stationary, cleaning & hygiene,): that will include: collecting the requests on monthly bases, maintaining the stock, monitoring the use.
- Facility management ( cleaning, equipment repairs, utilities, water supply,green office considerations, facility keys management ect)
- Administrating communication, ensuring internet, printers are working, staff has enough phone credit.
- Collect HR related documentation and liaise with the country office on HR tasks
Operations Management – Security:
- To act as the office Security Focal Point.
- Conduct security risk assessments of core operational features and record and report findings;
- To ensure that compound guards remain an effective and credible deterrent;
- To ensure through comprehensive briefings, that all staff and visitors to are fully appraised of the risks, the prevailing security situation and any security procedures.
- To manage and maintain all security communications equipment;
- Carries out other duties as assigned.
- The Operations Officer will conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Drivers, cleaners and security company.
- Accountable for following Mercy Corps Field Procurement Manual, the Mercy Corps Code of conduct regarding procurement activities and MC Conflict of Interest policy.
Reports Directly to: Head of Office
Works Directly with: Program and finance staff in north – east and operations staff in Abuja
Knowlwdge and Experience:
- A relevant first Degree in Business or Arts is desired.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in operations (logistics, procurement), preferably within an NGO; international business or related field. Strong organizational skills; ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel.
- Excellent oral and written English skills;
- Knowledge of Gombe local languages is required;
- Strong computer skills on MS Office programs, especially in MS Excel.
- A demonstrated ability to multi-task and process information into action as to not delay program activities. A clear understanding of procurement ethics and donor compliance is essential.
- Conscientious with an excellent sense of judgement ;
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks;
- Demonstrated attention to details;
- Ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines;
- Willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work comfortably with ethnically diversified team members ;
- Ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with project personnel;
- Excellent spoken and written English, strong computer skills are a must ;
- Proved organizational skills.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: [email protected]
- Application must include the position title in the subject line and not more than 4 pages.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity organization and we strongly encourage women to apply for this position
Application Deadline 22nd June, 2016.