Opolo Global is an innovation enabler, incubator and accelerator with a focus on nurturing talents to become global innovators, solution developers and entrepreneurs. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Accountant / Internal Control and Risk Management Officer
Location: Ikoyi, Lagos
Employment Type: Full-time
- Accountant / Internal Control and Risk Management Officer will plan, organize, review and ensure the adherence of all the internal policies of the company.
- He/She has the responsibility of conducting inspections to determine what gaps or loop holes exist in the policies and how to correct them.
- He/She must carry out periodic review, assessment and evaluation of risk and control issues to ensure that operational and business activities comply with Regulatory Guidelines, Operational Policies and Procedures in order to prevent loss of funds/assets/businesses, regulatory sanctions and other business risks.
- The overall goal is to identify potential problems before they occur and develop a plan to address them.
- Accountant responsibilities include auditing financial documents and procedures, reconciling bank statements and calculating tax payments and returns.
- To be successful in this role, you should have previous experience with bookkeeping and a flair for spotting numerical mistakes.
- Manage all accounting transactions
- Prepare budget forecasts
- Publish financial statements in time
- Handle monthly, quarterly and annual performance reviews
- Reconcile accounts payable and receivable
- Ensure timely bank payments
- Compute taxes and prepare tax returns
- Manage balance sheets and profit/loss statements
- Report on the company’s financial health and liquidity
- Audit financial transactions and documents
- Reinforce financial data confidentiality and conduct database backups when necessary
- Facilitate the implementation of controls to ensure that the company’s risk issues are timely and properly identified, classified, recorded and monitored for quickly resolution.
- Establish and maintain key aspects of the operational risk management program, such as risk reporting, risk appetite, risk identification & measurement, operational issue management, risk assessment methodology, and emerging risks.
- Facilitate effective implementation of the risk management and compliance frameworks of the company in accordance with regulatory requirement and in line with corporate goals
- Conduct a risk assessment of all aspects of the business
- Providing appropriate recommendations for closing risk management issues and internal controls deficiencies identified.
- Ensure, maintain and continuously improve risk and compliance management capabilities and approaches including relating with all business units on risk management and control issues.
- Recommend new controls to minimize risks and improve the internal control framework
- Monitor and track compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements, and escalate non-compliance appropriately.
- Supporting the implementation of processes, tools and systems to identify, assess, measure, manage, monitor and report risks
- Interacting with other business functions across the company to ensure the adoption of a consistent approach towards risk management and awareness across the organization
- Participate in the continual review and update of company’s risk policies, compliance policies, internal control policies, guidelines and practices, in line with changes in the company’s business priorities
- Keeping abreast of regulatory requirements within a risk and control context, providing advice on incoming obligations and preparing position statements wherever necessary
- Continuous identification of operational gaps that can lead to fraud and development of processes to plug such gaps.
- Regularly review of company procedures, practices, and documents to identify possible weaknesses or risks.
Required Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or a related discipline, with a Finance, Internal Control and Risk Management orientation preferred.
- Additional certification (ICAN, ACCA) is essential.
- Minimum of 2 years of Relevant work Experience in Internal Control, Risk Management, Finance, Audit & Compliance in a reputable financial institution or established consulting firm.
- Risk management and financial skills, good presentation and communication skills, and a good team player with a solid, positive character.
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding of control and risk activities in a corporate environment.
- Knowledge of best practices in internal control and Risk Management
- Technology savvy, and good level of proficiency in MS.Office
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
Application Deadline: 31st May, 2023.