Oxfam is a confederation of 17 Affiliates committed to creating a just world without poverty. In Nigeria Oxfam works in the areas of Economic Justice/Sustainable Livelihoods, Humanitarian Programming to save lives, Advancing Gender Justice and Good Governance, adopting a right based approach.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Gender Coordinator
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Duration: 1 year with possibility of extension
- To provide high-quality support to different units of the Response and to partners (when applicable) according to Oxfam’s standards and contribute to Oxfam’s global and regional learning aspirations.
- Work with OXFAM staff and partners, if applicable, to strengthen capacity to implement gender-responsive programming through training, guidance, one-on-one support, commenting on strategy plans, providing input to program design and proposal writing.
- Work with Human Resource Team and Protection Coordinator to come up with and keep the PSEA reporting mechanism robust, through mentoring, monitoring and support.
- As timing permits, in manageable blocks, review basic concepts and principles of gender/GBV/PSEA for all team members. Also, provide specialized sector briefings to each respective specialist/team as appropriate.
- Provide regular orientation on promoting the OXFAM gender pick up and go modules, OXFAM Minimum Standards for Gender in Emergencies, the use of Gender, Gender in WASH, Gender in EFSVL, and GBV handbooks and checklists in all OXFAM focus areas.
Information, Analysis and Program Support:
- Support the continuous collection and analysis of sex-and age-disaggregated data (SADD) as well as streamlining the needs assessment, collection and analysis so that it can be more effective in meeting beneficiary needs.
- Facilitate and support the integration of gender perspectives in the programming across sectors.
- Assist sectors in adapting existing systems to monitor progress in gender mainstreaming by using OXFAM and IASC framework and checklists and adapting them.
- Ensure that issues of GBV and SEA are explored in sensitive ways, and support HR or other units to ensure that services and follow-up are provided in keeping with OXFAM’s guidelines.
- Review project plans and budgets (or provide written guidelines for such a review) to ensure that adequate attention is paid (and resources allocated) to the promotion of gender equality across sectors.
- Review project proposals to ensure they are gender sensitive and include budget lines for gender activities.
- Build strategic alliances with other key actors, including Women’s Rights Organizations, to advocate for gender-sensitive programming.
- Provide overall management of support for strategic stakeholders/partners, which mainly include capacity building, learning, networking/linking and advocacy work on specific areas/issues.
- Ensure that OXFAM’s work treats gender as a cross-cutting issue in all its response and recovery activities, in accordance with the emergency response strategy.
- Promote use of the gender action plan by all OXFAM and keep partner staff members aware of this so this is considered in ongoing response and recovery work.
- Initiate/ Conduct/Review rapid gender analysis and update as required, drawing on external data and OXFAM information. Discuss with senior management the need for a more detailed gender analysis and overall gender strategy to guide OXFAM’s work.
- Support implementation of the gender action plan and revise as needed, according to OXFAM’s Program Strategy and commitments to gender transformative programming. External and Internal Coordination
- External coordination with government, non-government, partner organizations and UN coordination mechanisms as relevant
- Internal coordination with Human Resources, Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning, Senior Management, Sector Specialists and Area Program Managers, strengthening coordination structures to understand the social/gender dynamics and trends in the affected population. Ensure staff are aware of OXFAM gender policies.
- Encourage setting up gender focal points in programme areas, partner organizations (if applicable), local communities and organizations/networks known to promote the interests of women.
Communications and Knowledge Management:
- Collect and promote good practices and lessons learned, contributing to a collection of replicable good practices for gender equality programming for both OXFAM in Nigeria and the wider OXFAM.
- Provide technical support to identify opportunities for the development/use of relevant advocacy and communication/information materials to address gender (in)equality issues
- Participate in planning sessions as needed and provide a gender perspective on planning issues.
- Ensure that proper business support administration and systems and procedures are followed which are gender sensitive
Qualification, Skills, & Experience
- At least 3 years working on Gender programming and/or mainstreaming in development or humanitarian settings with an excellent understanding of gender mainstreaming and women’s rights; and experience in promoting women’s leadership and decision making in humanitarian response;
- Ability to work within multi-cultural teams and as an individual; a self starter with proven ability to work creatively, innovatively and effectively and who can work within a framework and with limited direct supervision
- Excellent people management skills with a good understanding of team development
- Demonstrated competencies in programme development and management including monitoring, evaluation and learning, financial management and reporting
- Fluency in English and at least one local language;
- Willingness to travel frequently, including remote and highly insecure areas
- Strong analytical skills and well-developed ability to think strategically, including the ability to analyse conflict and post conflict trends, specifically gender issues;
- Well organised, with good attention to detail and developed ability to prioritise tasks to meet tight deadlines and organise work in a complex institutional setting
- A high level of interpersonal and communications competencies including tact, diplomacy and negotiation skills
- Post graduate qualification in a relevant field
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application Letter and Curriculum Vitae as one attachment in English to: [email protected] with the position title as the subject of your email.
- Applications sent in the required format will be considered and only short listed candidates will be contacted.
- Prospective candidate must be available and willing to commence work immediately
Application Deadline 10th November, 2017.