Oxfam, one of the leading global development organizations, mobilizes the power of people against poverty. We are a diverse confederation of 17 strongly interconnected national affiliates working in over 90 countries, either directly, or with partners to enable transformational change, using a unique combination of long-term development, campaigning and humanitarian programs.
We are recruiting to fill the following positions below:
Job Title: Public Health Promotion Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Duration: Six (3) Months with possibilities of extension
- The enable Oxfam to quickly respond to the Public Health Promotion needs of the conflict affected communities in the North East of Nigeria.
- The work involves in an immediate stage, assessment of the situation and the implementation of public health measures required to alleviate the plight of the the people affected by the emergency in Nigeria.
Responsibilities and Accountabillties
Assessment and Programme Design
Lead and line manage PHP Assistants in designated areas to:
- Carry out WASH assessments, baseline surveys and continuous gathering of information about community situations in areas covered by the programme.
- Conduct assessments jointly with the PHEs, EFSVL. and MEAL team to determine the needs and public health risks faced by communities affected by conflict and feed into the programme design.
- Collect information using participatory methods.
- Collect morbidity and mortality data from health units, submits and inform the management.
- Conduct baseline KAP survey and end line surveys
Lead the line managed PHP Assistants in designated areas to:
- Carry out public health promotion activities jointly/integrated with the Public Health Engineers (PHEs) such as identification of beneficiaries for water, sanitation and hygiene, site selection, setting up mechanism.
- Ensure that the beneficiary user (women, men & children) particularly vulnerable individuals/groups of are consulted on numbers, design and identification of location prior to implementation of WASH Facilities.
- Identify, train and mobilise the Community Health Volunteers (CHVs) and WASH Committees.
- Carry out coordination and trainings to community structures to mobilise support of Qxfam’s emergency WASH interventions and engaging the community’s active participation.
- Follow up CHV’s performance; provide timely/regular support, coaching and informal capacity building.
- Improve the target community/IDPs’ behaviours
- Supervise and monitor the distribution of non-food items/hygiene kits, SWM kit, latrine cleaning kit and other appropriate non-food items.
- Carry out coordination and trainings to community structures to mobilise support for Oxfam’s emergency WASH interventions and engaging the communities’ active participation.
- Participate in the development of culturally appropriate IEC materials, conduct pre-test at community level to inform the final design. Disseminate IEC materials alongside hygiene promotion activities,
- Collect and record basic monitoring data from programme beneficiaries and mobilise community to take action in addressing issues.
- Support in implementing the recovery/transition phase of the emergency WASH programme focusing on promoting the communities resilience to future emergencies.
- Participate in the development culturally appropriate IEC materials, conduct pretest at community level to inform the final design. Disseminate IEC materials alongside hygiene promotion activities.
- Ensure designated team collect regular collection of information about the movements/influx of lDPs and humanitarian situation.
- Support in implementing PHP/WASH programme learning review, case studies documenting lessons learned and clear recommendations for future intervention,
- Comply to any task reasonably assigned by line manager or designated person
- Ensure that all work carried out as part of Oxfam’s Emergency WASH response meets the required minimum sphere standards and follows approved procedures
- Ensure safe programming or do-no-harm approach in all stages of response
- Adapt SPHERE standards appropriate for the context.
Educational Qualification and Competence
- First degree in any discipline relating to Public Health Promotion or Social Science. Experience could substitute for a formal qualification, but not vice versa.
- At least 2 years experience of working with local partners and an understanding of community based and gender-sensitive approaches to water sanitation and hygiene behavior change work in emergency relief or development programmes
- Must have a good understanding of the public health needs of poor rural and urban communities and of appropriate ways of tackling them. Awareness of and sensitive to the particular needs of women in this context.
- Ability to lead a team under rapidly changing circumstances, heavy workload, and wide-ranging roles and responsibilities.
- Proven innovative, analytical organisation and planning skills, as well as the ability to identify priority areas for work.
- Ability to work in the field in potentially contentious situation with local communities leaders and partners and draw on local knowledge,
- Knowledge of assessment and reporting method. Ability to manage time effectively.
- Good spoken and written English; Ability to communicate in Hausa is essential
Job Title: Emergency Food Security and Vulnerable Livelihoods (EFSVL) Officer
Location: Damboa, Borno
Duration: Three (3) Months with possibility of extension
- To implement food distributions and other food assistance projects in Damboa LGA
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- To support the implementation of food security/livelihoods programming, including cash transfers and market assessment.
- To support activities which includes holding community meetings and focus group discussions, promoting social mobilisation, beneficiary targeting process, and post-distribution monitoring, food security and livelihood assessment market prices surveillance monitoring, trader and money transfer assessment.
- To lead on community-level data collection and ensure adherence to work plan.
- Ensure that EFSVL is integrated with other programme teams, including water and sanitation engineering teams, and public health promotion teams.
- To apply gender-sensitive approaches to the community work and be comfortable to be involved in or lead community sensitisation and awareness sessions.
- Actively support to monitor the impact of our work on the people, supervising, monitoring and reporting on output indicators of the project.
- Implement accountability systems to ensure that communities engage in programme design and implementation, and use the Feedback and Complaints system.
Educational Qualification and Competence
- First degree in Sociology, Agriculture, Microenterprise development or its equivalent in any relevant discipline.
- At least three years of experience in appropriate community mobilisation. livelihoods, and/or cash programming in early recovery setting with national or International organizations.
- Proven ability to work creatively, innovatively, using owns initiative with limited direct supervision as well as working effectively as a team player.
- Knowledge and experience of baseline assessments, data gathering
- Proven assessment/analytical skills and the ability to contribute to written and verbal reports succinctly in English.
Job Title: Humanitarian Program Manager
Location: North East, Nigeria
Starting date: As soon as possible
- The Humanitarian Program Manager will provide overall management and leadership of the Nigeria Humanitarian response, in accordance with Oxfam standards and in coordination with the technical leads.
- You will be responsible for ensuring the elaboration and implementation of the response strategy, operational plans and global budget.
- You will provide a coherent integrated response; financial and human resources security; an appropriate campaign/advocacy dimension.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Supports the implementation of country humanitarian strategy and the coordination of periodic operational plans and budgets of the country and its programs, monitoring progress towards achieving program objectives – also measures outcome and impact against recognised indicators.
- Ensures that the response strategy (speed, scale, contextually appropriated, integrated) is in line with Oxfam’s overall strategic ambitions, external commitments and Oxfam’s brand as a lead humanitarian actor.
- Contributes and provides leadership to the overall One Oxfam response, by reinforcing strategies with communication and advocacy.
- Supports and maintains oversight of financial and people resourcing for the Nigeria response
- Participates in regional level response coordination where necessary, ensuring follow Maintains effective partner grants and reports monitoring system, ensures adherence to Oxfam policies and procedures on partner management up of agreed actions and necessary support from others for Nigeria (e.g. HR, Funding, MEAL, others).
- Represents Oxfam to government officials, Consortium, international organizations and NGOS and others stakeholders.
- Ensures staff safety and security procedures are monitored, updated and implemented. This will include an analysis of the risks and the threats to staff working on Oxfam programmes.
- Recruits and manages staff in line with Oxfam policies, ensuring that they have the necessary induction, training and support as required.
Skills, Experience and Knowledge
- First degree in a relevant field
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in similar roles – specifically in managing humanitarian and development programs funded by different donors.
- Significant leadership and management experience in the development and delivery of high quality program, influencing and humanitarian strategy, with and through partners or directly, in one or more challenging locations. (humanitarian WASH, protection and/or EFSL programs).
- Experience in leading and motivating multi disciplinary and partially geographically remote teams; a high degree of self awareness and an understanding of how to drive and support excellent team performance and individual development; experience with people management;
- Experience of managing complex change processes and relationships involving a wide range of both internal and external multi-cultural stakeholders;
- A high degree of self awareness and an understanding of how to drive and support excellent team performance and individual development in line with Oxfam’s values and policies.
- Proven track record of leading and motivating multi disciplinary, geographically remote teams and operations across a number of locations.
- Good knowledge of developing and implementing monitoring systems to track the effectiveness of programs and an ability to build cooperative, professional relationships with donors, partners and peer organisations.
- Excellent personal communication skills, in written and verbal English.
- Good interpersonal, influencing, diplomacy negotiating skills.
- Commitment to equal opportunity and gender policies; sensitivity to cultural differences, and the ability to work in a wide variety of cultural contexts.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and policies and experience of promoting women’s rights and the interests of marginalized people in all aspects of Oxfam’s work.
- Knowledge or appreciation of Nigeria in terms of its political, economic and social trends plus a good understanding of the key development and humanitarian issues in the region.
- Ability to travel to remote programmatic sites within the country.
- Experience in managing funded projects and proven ability to write proposals and reports to main humanitarian donors (ECHO, DFID, OFDA, etc.)
- Self Awareness
- Vision Setting
- Agility, complexity and ambiguity
- Relationship building
A competitive and fair pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors.
Application Closing Date: 6th February, 2017.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their application letter and Curriculum Vitae as one attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title as the subject of their mail
- Only applications sent in required format will be considered.
- Shortlisted candidates will be contacted within 2 weeks of the closing date