Oxford Policy Management (OPM) is an international consultancy that helps policymakers design, implement and evaluate solutions for reducing social and economic disadvantage in low- and middle-income countries. Supported by more than 400 specialists on three continents and 120 countries, we offer a unique combination of strengths: High-quality analysis based on rigorously collected and interrogated data Practical experience of facilitating policy change Integrated solutions spanning the entire policy cycle Cross-cutting teams allow us to evaluate and address practical trade-offs between different options International offices provide our clients with rapid, long-term support, plus strengthen local capacity – essential ingredients for sustainable solutions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Assistant Consultant
Job Type: Permanent
Level: Entry Level Consulting
- OPM Nigeria is seeking to recruit an Assistant Consultant to work in its Nigeria office. This role would be ideal for a talented and passionate early-career professional, with a clear commitment to international development.
- Assistant Consultants across OPM gain exposure to various development sectors (e.g. education, finance and private sector, nutrition, etc.), functional areas (e.g. monitoring and evaluation, research and data collection methods, etc.) or geographical areas (e.g. through projects in one of our country offices).
- In this role, a balance of three types of skills, namely technical skills, consultancy skills and management/leadership skills, will guide professional development. These skills will be learnt through:
- Project work delivered in collaboration with senior consultants (including new business acquisition, fieldwork across different states of the federation and client-facing engagements in diverse settings)
- Mentorship from an experienced senior consultant(s)
- Seminars, conferences and training opportunities
- This role is a full-time position, initially based in our Nigeria office in Abuja but travel is to be expected.
The successful applicant can expect to provide wide-ranging support to both project acquisition and implementation across all subject areas:
- Social policy, including teams in poverty reduction and social protection, health, and education;
- Economic policy, including teams in private sector development, financial sector development, trade, aid, microfinance, macroeconomic policy, climate change, and natural resource policy;
- Statistics, evidence and accountability, including teams in social development, official statistics, and political economy analysis; and
- Public sector finance and management, including team in public financial management, public management and accountability, debt management, and regional development and local government.
The candidate can expect to improve on a wide range of skills covering:
- General consultancy and development;
- Primary and secondary quantitative and qualitative research and analysis;
- Depth and breadth of knowledge and experience both across the policy cycle and the various policy areas in which OPM works;
- Effective writing, presentation and communication;
- Project and people management and leadership; and
- Specialisation in the work of one or more of OPM’s sectoral projects.
In order to be selected for this role, applicants will need:
- Graduate Degree in Economics, Development Studies or a related field, with excellent academic record
- Show adaptability, willingness to learn new skills and commitment to exceptional delivery
- Innovative and creative
- Team player; self-driven and ability to work independently and interface with external clients
- Ability to work in at least one language relevant to Nigeria would be preferred.
- Strong quantitative and/or qualitative research skills typically demonstrated through graduate thesis/dissertation
- Demonstrated ability and experience of working with quantitative and/or qualitative packages (e.g. STATA, SPSS, NVivo, Quirkos, Atlas ti, etc.)
- Strong and demonstrated written and verbal communication skills;
- Demonstrated commitment to international development, ideally evidenced by voluntary or other related work;
- Demonstrated interest to live and work in Nigeria;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of multicultural and diverse teams; and
- Ability to multi-task well and manage multiple deadlines.
- Flexibility to adapt to a variety of engagement types, working hours and work environments and locations, strong time management skills.
- OPM offers competitive salaries, a contributory pension scheme and generous holiday entitlement.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline: 15th June, 2018.