Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
Working together with children, young people, supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges girls and vulnerable children face. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years and are now active in more than 70 countries, driving changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge. Plan International is registered in Nigeria with the Corporate Affairs Commission. We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Admin & Logistics Specialist
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- This role will support Plan International Nigeria Humanitarian response in Maiduguri to, ensure Admin and Logistics activities in line with organisational and project objectives and donors expectation and guidelines.
- The Admin and Logistics specialist will ensure effective Administrative, Logistics, Office management to enable on time delivery at value for money of all procurement for which Plan International is responsible.
- S/he will lead in the management of all project administrative documentation, ensuring that all travels are managed and reports are coordinated either through direct procurement or through donor procurement agents.
- S/he will be accountable for the effectiveness of the Admin and Logistics team, ensuring on time delivery and no stock outs, providing capacity building and conducting spot checks as required.
Dimension of Role
- The Admin and Logistics specialist is responsible for supporting the existing operations team for the Emergency Response logistics planning and implementation of Plan Nigeria’s response.
- Whilst the responsibilities below cover the main aspects of the role, this may change due to the evolving situation and it is not limited to all listed below.
Key Roles / Responsibilities
- Provide functional leadership and support for Admin and Logistics, including the assessment, design, start-up, budget management and implementation of Admin and Logistics activities for multiple projects.
- Oversight fleet management and transport operations for the response, working closely with CO’s Administration and Logistics Manager to identify needs, acquire and utilise a variety of modes to meet the emergency response requirements needs safely and effectively.
- Coordinate asset management for all response assets including; donor liaison, disposal plans asset verification, compliant purchasing.
- Responsible for setting up of office and staff accommodation, oversee running of office/ offices as well as accommodation.
- Provide oversight function on the flight operations for UNHAS and Commercial to staff.
- Ensure administration unit staffs completed the performance objective.
- Conduct a capacity assessment for Humanitarian Admin and logistic coordinator and prepare a capacity building plan in consultation with Emergency Response Manager.
- Lead and/or oversee logistics activities including the identification of local sourcing options, liaising with CO for international sources, management of downstream supply pipeline, contracting of goods, services and works suppliers, providing assurance, implementation and appropriate controls in line with Plan’s Operations Manual and Plan International Nigeria Procurement guideline.
- Providing high quality technical input in project operational planning, enabling fast and effective delivery to meet humanitarian needs, as well as ensuring that they are in line with donor guidelines and operations manual regarding implementation and reporting.
- Provide oversight and direction to inventory and warehouse management across multiple projects including GIK management, managing contingency stock if and the receipt of donations from donors.
Review and Documentation:
- Ensure a proper filing system for Admin and Logistic related documents and relevant quarterly report submissions
- Undertake periodical review of documents to ensure PLAN Nigeria meet the internal and external (mainly donor) requirement.
- Collaboration with other response team members
- Represent Plan in logistics coordination meeting and ensure coordination with partners, local authorities, UN/INGOs including ensuring Logistics Cluster engagement and coordination if and when there is cluster activation
- Work with Safety and Security Manager on infrastructure including selection, training and management of security staff and delegation of responsibilities for locking and material releases.
- Work closely with the Security Officer on staff movement, vehicle allocation and distribution planning.
- As required, you may also be asked to oversee or perform duties relating to IT, comms (VHF, HF and sat phones), customs, importation and government liaison and supporting and working with local partners.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- Experience of leading a team in Admin and Logistics function(s)
- Educated at a Bachelors level in relevant discipline or equivalent professional experience
- Experience of contributing to market and needs assessments, contributing to emergency response and project plans.
- Strong knowledge of WHO Good Storage and Good Distribution Practices
- Working knowledge in contract negotiation and management.
- Hands-on leader who is a strong motivator.
- Strong proficiency with using MS Excel and data analytics
- Up to date knowledge of best practice using advanced inventory management tools.
- Experience in start-ups and implementation of donor grant projects, good knowledge of donor rules and regulations across humanitarian Admin and Logistics functions.
- Technical background across all aspects logistics and supply chain management, including, office management, warehousing, fleet management, accommodation, contract management and humanitarian distributions.
- Communication Skills: Well developed written and oral communication skills.
- Able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders as a representative of PLAN. This includes effective negotiation and representation skills.
- Good writing skills in English.
- Ability to develop policy document
- Ability to respond/manage multiple demands from various sites/departments
- Minimum of 7 years work experience in an INGO
- Fluency in English.
- Integrity: Works with trustworthiness and integrity and has a clear commitment to PLAN’s core values and humanitarian principles.
- Awareness and sensitivity of self and others: Demonstrates awareness and sensitivity to gender and diversity.
- Have experience and the ability to live and work in diverse cultural contexts in a culturally appropriate manner.
- Has a capacity to make accurate self-assessment particularly in high stress and high security contexts.
- Knowledge of Plan policies and procedures, Sphere and the Red Cross/ NGO Code of Conduct. Requires general finance, administration, information management and telecommunication skills and proficiency in information technology/ computer skills.
- Ability to build and maintain strong working internal and external relationships, and represent Plan in a professional and competent manner.
- Preference for team work and a collaborative working environment in the humanitarian space.
- Great listening skills, discreet and tactful.
- Able to plan and be organized even within a fluid working environment and has a capacity for initiative and decision making with competent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Commitment to continuous learning; willing to update knowledge in logistics field.
- Ability to work and provide effective leadership, equally comfortable working in leadership, management and hands-on roles in rapidly changing contexts.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline: 1st June, 2020
- Plan International Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or disabilities.
- Plan International Nigeria is fully committed to child protection to prevent children from all forms of abuse. Women are strongly encouraged to apply