Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity.
We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Coordinator
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- The purpose of this role is to ensure financial accountability, provide timely and accurate financial information on all Humanitarian, Education/ Nutrition / Livelihood/ Protection & Others Sectors Projects.
- Position holder acts as finance focal person for finance-related issues (budgeting, cash flow management, reporting, auditing etc.) on the Education/Nutrition/Livelihood/Protection & Others Sectors Projects.
Dimension of Role
- Communicates within Plan International Nigeria and with partners and related government institutions.
- The post holder will contribute towards the financial management of the Education/ Nutrition/ Livelihood/ Protection & Others Sectors Projects, interfacing with both operational and programme team members.
- The post holder will also contribute towards the organisational development of Plan International Nigeria’s implementing partners:
- Monitors and controls Education/ Nutrition/ Livelihood/ Protection & Others Sectors projects annual budget and its spending.
- Prepares financial reports on all Education/ Nutrition/ Livelihood/ Protection & Others Sectors Projects.
- Finance Officers on Education/ Nutrition/ Livelihood/ Protection & Others Sectors Projects reports directly to the role.
- Area of responsibility – All the Humanitarian Education/ Nutrition/ Livelihood/ Protection & Others Sectors Projects.
Support Budget preparation and Budgetary Control for the effective implementation of financial plans. To do this, the role will:
- Prepare the entire Education/ Nutrition/ Livelihood /Protection & Others Sectors projects annual budget as part of the preparation of the Country’s annual budget.
- Monitor the Sectors projects budgets to ensure spending as per plan to avoid over/under spending.
- Prepare the monthly projects IGF (Indicative Grants Funding) report.
- Prepare the quarterly Projects KP06 budget for all Education/ Nutrition/ Livelihood/ Protection & Others Sectors Projects with support from the Finance Officers.
Prepare Financial and other Reports to aid the preparation of the overall country’s financial report for dissemination and decision-making. To do this, the role will:
- Assist in the preparation of country’s financial management reports (Monthly, quarterly and yearly).
- Ensure that the Finance Officers prepares a monthly budget vs Actual spending project report for all Education/ Nutrition/ Livelihood/ Protection & Others Sectors projects.
- Prepare the Education/ Nutrition/ Livelihood/ Protection & Others Sectors dedicated bank account’s Target Bank Balance (TBB) report.
- Consolidate the Sectors monthly Partners unliquidated advances report and make the necessary follow ups.
- Assist the CFM in the preparation of the half-year and year-end financial schedules.
- Make a monthly support visit to the Sectors project partners and submit report.
- Carry out identified capacity building trainings for partners in your Sectors.
- Follow up with prepaid expenses, accruals etc., on the projects to be submitted to CO.
Support the Field Office Treasury Management and Cash Forecasting to ensure the availability of funds for country operations. To do this, the role will:
- Support the Projects Managers and Finance Officers to ensure that monthly Cash forecasts are timely submitted for the Sectors.
Manage the operations of the SAP system in the field office to meet Plan’s spending and financial reporting requirements. To do this, the role will:
- Ensure regular follow up with relevant departments responsible for FAD set-up in SAP for new Projects or modification in the Sectors.
- Undertake accuracy checks to ensure all transactions entered in SAP are correct.
- Carry out a monthly review of NRGRANT status to ensure grant related expenditures are charged on applicable grant WBS.
- Ensure correct use of WBS (work breakdown structure) for all requisitions and journals.
- Advice CO on all Education/ Nutrition/ Livelihood/ Protection & Others Sectors Project’s related intercompany recharges.
- Ensure to carry out all required month-end procedures before SAP is closed.
- Ensure the Finance Officers maintain a good filing for all Education/ Nutrition/ Livelihood/ Protection & Others Sectors Projects related SAP payment vouchers and reports.
Implement Internal Financial Controls & Payment processes for the attainment of value for money at all times. To do this, the role will:
- Ensure payments made are as per Plan’s approved policies, procedures, and that of the donor rules and regulations.
- Review the finance sections of purchase requisitions, advance requests, liquidations, and purchase orders for financial conformity with respect to the Education/ Nutrition/ Livelihood/ Protection & Others Sectors projects.
- Support the review of Education/ Nutrition/ Livelihood/ Protection & Others Sectors projects cheques issued before sign off by Plan Authorised Managers.
- Prepare Education/ Nutrition/ Livelihood/ Protection & Others Sectors projects financial audit action list after each audit and ensure compliance.
- Ensure all expected costs are timely and accurately recovered from the projects.
Support the accurate and timely payment of statutory deductions. To do this, the role will:
- Ensure withholding tax are paid timely and relevant documents and receipts appropriately filed.
- Support vendors/ consultants etc. related to Education/ Nutrition/ Livelihood/ Protection & Others Sectors Projects on how to promptly access their credit notes.
- Ensure yourself and direct report’s IAP, six months’ appraisal and annual appraisal are timely completed and documented.
- Support provide training and share good experience/practice among the team to strengthen team capacity and team building.
- Keep Supervisor informed of any initiative or difficulties relating to the job’s responsibilities.
- Fulfil Plan’s Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy at all times to protect children from all forms of abuse.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned by your Supervisor from time to time to support the achievement of organizational goals.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- University degree in Accounting or equivalent; Relevant professional qualification.
- At least 5 years’ experience in a similar role;
- Fair knowledge in grants and project management.
- Knowledge and use of accounting software (Preferably SAP)
- Preferred qualifications: knowledge of and experience with the key donors in the industry is strongly preferred.
- Experience providing capacity development assistance to sub-grantees strongly preferred.
- Experience working with sub-grantees required.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Communicates clearly and effectively.
- Ability to facilitate participative processes for all stakeholders for implementing grant projects.
- Strong team building skills, Organized and methodical.
- Independence, objectivity and integrity.
- Good supervisory & coordination skills and ability to deliver to tight deadlines.
- Fair knowledge of project planning, management, supervision, monitoring and evaluation tools.
- Excellent and demonstrable experience in grant and financial management.
- Knowledge and understanding of Nigeria’s policy environment
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including good listening skills, influencing, negotiation and coaching.
- Capacity to build and maintain relationships and to work effectively in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic environment respecting diversity.
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Deadline: 24th January, 2020