Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency. The association leads in average 190 projects by year in the following sectors of intervention: food security, health, nutrition, construction and rehabilitation of infrastructures, water, sanitation, hygiene and economic recovery. PUI is providing assistance to around 5 million people in 20 countries – in Africa, Asia, Middle East, Eastern Europe and France.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Food Security Project Manager
Report to: Field Coordinator
Duration of Mission: 3 Months (renewable)
- The food security project manager shall supervise the implementation of food security programs implemented in Maiduguri.
Task and Responsibilities
- Programmes: He/She shall ensure the proper implementation and monitoring of the food security programme(s) for which He/She is responsible.
- Human Resources: He/She shall supervise the food security team (PUI employees and any daily-employed workers).
- Logistics and administration: He/She shall ensure the logistical and administrative monitoring of project(s) for which He/She is responsible.
- Representation: He/She shall represent the Association to partners, authorities and local players involved in the implementation of food security programmes.
- Safety and Security: He/She shall contribute to the observance of safety and security rules at the site and shall transmit all information relating to safety and security to his/her line-manager.
Specific Objectives and Linked Activities
Ensuring the Implementation and Monitoring of Food Security Programme(s):
- He/She shall ensure that aid recipients and local populations both understand the project goals and actively participate in their implementation.
- He/She shall plan activities and ensure compliance with the schedule of activities. In the event of major delay
- He/She shall ensure the implementation of monitoring and/or evaluation according to needs identified by the project(s). He/She shall analyse information collected and transmit it to his/her line manager. He/She shall produce and distribute monitoring and evaluation reports to those concerned according to project requirements and/or information gathered.
- He/She shall ensure funding for all documents, tools and training produced within the framework of the project(s) and shall satisfy him/herself of the availability of the sources of verification mentioned in the proposals.
- He/She shall send internal and external reports to his/her line manager, complying with internal validation timescales (SitRep) and external contractual schedules (project reports).
- He/She shall validate Technical choices.
- He/She shall ensure the smooth running of food security programme(s) for which He/She is responsible and supervise compliance with objectives set out in project proposal(s). In particular He/She shall monitor the specified indicators, report to his/her line manager, signal any difficulty encountered in implementation and propose improvements or refocusing if necessary.
Food Security Team Supervision:
- He/She shall familiarise him/herself with the PUI internal regulations for the mission and satisfy him/herself that they are known and observed within his/her team.
- He/She shall set up specific coordination procedures for his/her team and organise its supervision.
- He/She shall identify and provide for his/her team’s training needs and (organisational, methodological and possibly technical support; organisation of training etc.).
- He/She shall produce the organisation chart for his/her team and have it validated by the Head of Base.
- He/She shall define the job profiles for members of his/her team, have them validated by the Head of Base and shall actively participate in recruitment (interview, test etc.).
- He/She shall ensure that a written evaluation is made of each person, at least once per contract and per year and, as a minimum, before they leave their post.
Providing Logistical and Administrative Monitoring of Food Security Programme(s):
- He/She shall send his/her programme needs to the Head of Base according to available budgets. He/She shall satisfy him/herself that such requests are realistic with regard to supply timescales by taking into account the mission’s time and logistics constraints, as well as programme-specific procurement procedures.
- He/She shall report weekly to the Head of Base re his/her vehicle and communications equipment requirements for programme implementation.
- He/She shall organise the logistics aspect of his/her programmes (delivery, distribution, storage on site etc.), in coordination with the Head of Base.
- He/She shall provide the Head of Base, on a monthly basis, with all information required to produce the cashflow forecast for his/her programme(s).
- He/She shall ensure the availability each month of up-to-date budgetary monitoring for the programme(s) for which He/She is responsible and He/She shall participate in its analysis, identify any discrepancies and suggest adjustments to the Head of Base.
- He/She shall contribute to the analysis of supplier bids for purchases with highly technical specifications (in particular, agricultural inputs) and carry out the necessary compliance testing (germination tests etc.).
- He/She shall actively participate in producing calls for tender, as applicable, in coordination with the Logistics Coordinator.
- He/She shall, in coordination with the Head of Base, satisfy him/herself that appropriate stocks of equipment are held for his/her programmes.
Providing Representation for PUI With Food Security Players:
- He/She shall represent the Association to local players involved in the implementation of food security programmes and shall ensure the maintenance of good relations with each of them (observing the principles of PUI’s neutrality and independence).
- In agreement with the Head of Base, He/She shall participate in and be an active member of any coordination meetings about food security questions.
- In the event of inspection by a Funding Organisation, He/She shall actively participate in preparing for and conducting the visit.
Ensuring Safety and Security of Goods and People:
- He/She shall ensure that the team for which He/She is responsible knows the safety and security plan and that the safety and security rules are observed.
- He/She shall ensure that the project(s)’, methodology and selection criteria do not endanger the aid recipients, members of PUI or any other person. He/She shall, without delay, warn the Head of Base in the event of teams or aid recipients being endangered.
- He/She shall ensure that members of his/her team and any daily-employed workers have safety equipment suitable for their activities (e.g. helmets, safety boots, safety vest, gloves etc.).
- He/She shall contribute to the collection of information about safety and security in the area of intervention and send them to the Head of Base on a regular basis or, in an emergency, on an ad hoc basis.
Contributing to Drawing up New Proposals:
- He/She shall participate in the identification of food security needs in coordination with the Head of Base.
- When new operations are being planned, He/She shall, together with the Head of Base, contribute to the preparation of project proposals for the food security element.
- He/She shall participate in mission strategy planning.
- Number of people to manage and their position (expatriate/local staff)
- Direct management: 15
- Indirect management:0
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Specialisation in IT systems
- Project management
- Specialisation in IT systems
- Project management
Knowledge and Skills
- Good drafting skills
- Knowledge of project management
- Cash Based Intervention
- Knowledge of institutional funding organisations’ procedures (OFDA, ECHO, PFA, UN AGENCIES ETC.)
- Knowledge in e-voucher systems
- Other (details)
- Office Suite
- Other (details)
- Statistics, GIS (MapInfo, ArcView etc.)
- Database (Access or other)
Required Personal Characteristics (fitting into the team, suitability for the job and assignment)
- Ability to work independently while taking initiatives and showing a sense of responsibility
- Ability to withstand pressure
- Ability to integrate the local environment into operations, in its political, economic and historical dimensions
- Ability to work with various partners, in a spirit of openness, and with adaptable communications strategies
- Strong listening and negotiation skills
- Good people and communication skills
- Ability to remain calm and level-headed
- General ability to resist stress and particularly in unstable circumstances
- Sense of diplomacy
- Analytical skills
- Capacity to adapt and showing organizational flexibility
- Organization, rigor and ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work and manage affairs professionally and with maturity
- Ability to represent the activities and the mandate of PUI before local authorities
- Mobility: Extensive travel may be required
- Employed with a Fixed-Term Contract
Monthly Gross Income: from 1 650 up to 1 980 Euros depending on the experience in International Solidarity + 50 Euros per semester seniority with PUI
- Cost Covered: Round-trip transportation to and from home / mission, visas, vaccines…
- Insurance: including medical coverage and complementary healthcare, 24/24 assistance and repatriation
- Housing: in collective accommodation
- Daily Living Expenses: (« Per diem »)
- Break Policy: 5 working days at 3 and 9 months + break allowance
- Paid Leave Policy: 5 weeks of paid leaves per year + return ticket every 6 months
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application (Resume and Cover letter) to Romain Gautier, Human Resources Officer for Expatriates at: [email protected] with the following subject:“FoodSecPM–Nigeria”
Application Deadline 30th June, 2016.