Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security Liaison Officer
- The PUI Nigerian Mission has been officially opened in April 2016, with a focus on meeting urgent needs, including improving access to food commodities for Internally Displaced People (IDP) and host communities (HC), later adding Primary Health Care and Nutrition activities. This initial intervention was focused on populations living in MMC. The progressive sectorial widening allowed to start implementing an integrated approach from 2017 in Bolori II in food security, livelihoods, nutrition and health, with the support of ECHO, FFP, OFDA and CIAA/CDC, in line with PUI’s global strategy
- In 2018, PUI will further develop its comprehensive response by adding Outreach/Protection and WaSH to the existing country program in Bolori II, and will scale up its intervention with the opening of Kukawa LGA base, with the main objectives of reducing morbidity and mortality of the most vulnerable population and promoting protection amongst the whole affected community
- The same donors will support the 2018 intervention. In parallel, PUI is supporting the coordination mechanisms and is running the common logistics platform for all humanitarian actors funded by the logistics cluster (WFP) since 2016, and the partnership has been renewed to this date. PUI is now looking for a Security Liaison Officer position to be based at Monguno.
- Under the supervision and direction of the Field Coordinator, the Security and Liaison Officer will effectively contribute to all appropriate risk management strategies on the ground, related to the safety and security, and the protection of staff and assets in the field programme
- Specifically, he/she will be responsible for leading in security information collection, contributing to implementation and execution of all field security operations in support of staff and activities.
- In addition, the Security and Liaison Officer will establish links and synergies with local and state authorities at all levels, facilitating the implementation of programs and assisting PUI staff in all matters related to security.
- Lastly, the Security and Liaison Officer will follow closely local political and economic situation. He will provide analysis and information updates on the north-east general contexts to strengthen knowledge and comprehension by PUI staff of the environment where PUI’s projects are implemented.
Responsibilities and Tasks
Security Information Gathering:
- Develop, build and maintain a network of interlocutors with all the stakeholders (security forces, UN agencies, NGOs, administration…)
- Raise information and contribute to applications and follow-up on the north-east general governmental security related requirements and processes (clearances, offices to be visited/ kept informed, etc.), as necessary;
- Participate in security-related meetings at his level and provide information to the field coordinator of required attendance to meetings with state and/or local leaders, ensure translation when needed and contribute to reporting.
- Collect, analyze and share all security and safety information on the ground relevant to PUI activities in the north-east and elsewhere as relevant.
- Under the direction of the field coordinator, contribute to the security/risk assessment
- Assist the Field Coordinator in the design of the security strategies
- Contribute to briefing and training of staff on security procedures as related to the security assessment and analysis
- Contribute to procedures and measures against acts of corruption by gathering information on this aspect on the ground and contributing the information in investigations and otherwise as related to cases of corruption.
- Liaise with administrative, security, humanitarian stakeholders and representation
Context Analysis and Monitoring:
- Regularly update the PUI north-east senior management team on the north-east on the e context, by adhoc and weekly updates.
- At request, research and/or draft documents analyzing and presenting subjects linked to the PUI environment of work, whether on cultural, social, economic, political, humanitarian, etc. issues.
Specific Objectives and Linked Activities:
- Collect accurate and timely security information in all the areas of operation of PUI operation
- Ensure security information is disseminated at the right time, right place and through the right channels to the right persons.
- Provide reports and summaries to PUI north-east senior management team on the north-east on the e context, in adhoc and weekly updates.
- Establish viable relationships with key leadership and community-based structures
- Developing network of information providers to enable you to obtain security information.
- Ensure efficiency of security risk assessment for Monguno base.
- Ensure the efficiency of security strategies.
The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
- Language skills: Good command of English, Hausa and
- Local Langage: Hausa and Kanuri are a must (speaking, reading & writing)
- Education Degree: University Degree or Diploma with at least 2 years’ experience
- Work experience: At least 1 years’ experience in a relevant position in an international NGO or experience in security-related services is a strong asset
Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to manage a fair workload including emergencies.
- Very good networking and diplomatic skills
- Good knowledge of Security.
- Good knowledge of Information gathering
- Good ability for team work
- Good team spirit
- Excellent knowledge of the north-east especially Kukawa LGA, Monguno but also other LGAs in the area, willingness to travel locally
- Excellent capacity to create and maintain a network
- Excellent impartiality and neutrality
- Strong analytical/ research/investigative skills
- Self-motivated, flexible and adaptable to the needs of the team and organization
- Good diplomatic skills
- Ability to manage conflicting priorities in personal workload
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization
- Well organized and hard worker
- Able to check validity of information, logical thinking
- Interests: Prior experience working in humanitarian relief
- Cross-cutting skills
- Strong motivation to help people in need
- Understanding of the political situation in the area
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 16th September, 2018.