International Rescue Committee – Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee is a prominent international organization working in relief, rehabilitation, protection, post-conflict development, resettlement services and advocacy for those uprooted or affected by violent conflict and oppression.
The International Rescue Committee is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Protection Coordinator
Sector: Protection & Rule of Law
Employee Type: Regular
Employee Category: Full Time
Scope of Work
- The IRC is implementing a protection program featuring protection monitoring, information sharing, referral services, capacity building and access to justice/rule of law. The Protection Coordinator will be responsible for the development and implementation of protection programming in all three states of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe where the IRC has humanitarian presence.
- The Protection Coordinator will also be responsible in contributing to increasing the IRC’s presence and potential leadership role in the Protection sector by attending relevant working group meetings, networking with state and NGO actors in the protection sector and identifying potential partners for future programming.
- The Protection Coordinator will directly supervise various Protection, Information, and Database staff who will also support the program.
- The Protection Coordinator will work extensively with other sectors, to ensure that protection principles are being incorporated into the Nigeria sector programs, and in particular with the Women’s Protection and Empowerment Coordinator, the Child Youth and Protection Development Coordinator to strengthen the integrated nature of IRC’s protection and assistance programs in Nigeria.
- S/he reports to the Deputy Director of Programs and will have access to technical guidance from the IRC Violence Prevention and Response Unit.
- He/she will lead the design of protection monitoring methodology, M&E systems, and training materials for protection and information project staff, set up and scale up of access to justice/rule of law interventions and Standard Operation Procedures (SOPs) regarding the sharing of data with other actors.
- The Protection Coordinator will ensure the quality of protection data collection and analysis and ensure that succinct and accurate protection reports are utilized to inform programming and advocacy both internally and externally.
- Provide strategic direction and vision to the IRC’s Protection programming in Nigeria, with an emphasis on maintaining program quality during a period of expansion.
- Ensure that all interventions are in compliance with the IRC’s protection mainstreaming framework, international law and protection standards and national policies.
- Provide continuous support to and ensure targeted capacity building of staff.
- Participate in cross-departmental collaboration and coordination in order to ensure that linkages between programs are made and programs gain from protection best practice; in particular with regular contact and coordination with Coordinators and Managers in WPE, CP, Food Security (ERD), and Education.
- Ensure all designed protection projects use to the IRC theories of change and that outcomes are evidence-driven and evidence-generated.
- Oversee implementation of the Protection Monitoring and Information Dissemination through managing project work plans and budgets (budget forecasting, development of spending plans and budget follow-up), ensuring timely recruitment, quality implementation and accurate reporting in accordance with IRC and donor regulations.
- Ensure that monitoring and evaluation systems are effectively designed and integrated into all stages of the project; that output and impact data are captured and that data is used to optimize program quality.
New Business Development:
- Develop the Protection sector strategy for Nigeria in close collaboration with the Protection Managers, DDP/CD, other protection sector staff, and the VPRU Technical Unit
- Identify opportunities for, design and develop concept notes and proposals for further protection programming and other protection programming as requested
- Develop and/or input into protection assessments and protection reporting analysis for the purpose of program development
- Provide Protection input on proposals from other sectors to ensure protection is mainstreamed across IRC programming
Representation, Coordination and Advocacy:
- Coordinate with DDP/CD to forge connections with key government counterparts at the ministerial level, UN, I/NGOs, human rights actors, municipal and other sub-national government actors.
- Regularly coordinate with internal program and operational stakeholders, the Protection/Rule of Law Technical Advisors, Women’s Protection and Empowerment, Children’s Protection, Education and other IRC colleagues.
- In collaboration with the DDP/CD and regional advocacy team, ensure that the protection program delivers on advocacy goals as articulated in the country wide advocacy strategy.
- Represent the IRC in high level and strategic meetings involving protection actors such as protection working group meetings, inter-agency coordination meetings, and bi-lateral meetings.
- Advanced university degree in Law, Human Rights or a related field.
- 3-5 years’ experience implementing protection programming including experience in emergency or post-conflict project management
- Strong leadership, staff and budget management and capacity building skills.
- Excellent communication skills, cultural sensitivity, flexibility, ability to improvise, team player.
- Ability to live and productively work under stress and in insecure and harsh environments while maintaining a sense of humor.
- Demonstrated experience using international human rights standards in protection programming
- Demonstrated experience implementing M&E programs
- Strong strategic thinking and proposal writing skills
- Experience implementing integrated programming which focuses on meeting the unique needs of children, women and girls is desired.
- Regional experience and fluency in English
- Experience in implementing programming that utilizes ICT, including in the management and monitoring of SMS based systems.
Specific Security Situation /Housing
- The Protection Coordinator will be based in Maiduguri, Nigeria with travel throughout the country.
- The candidate should be prepared to implement programming in insecure environments. This is a non-accompanied position. The Coordinator will live in shared housing.
- The security situation in Nigeria continues to be volatile in the NE with the security level at 3 (orange).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should apply below