Rand Merchant Bank (RMB), a division of FirstRand Bank Limited, is a leading African corporate and investment bank and part of one of the largest financial services groups in Africa. We offer our clients innovative, value-added advisory, funding, trading, corporate banking and principal investing solutions. We are recruiting to fill the position below
Job Title: Equity Research Analyst (FMCG Sector)
Job Type: Full-time
- To provide insight and thorough analysis of a company, entity or sector and present this information in a way that is easily understood and usable by investors to decide how to allocate fund.
- The role requires the candidate to provide equity research coverage for assigned sector(s) in the Nigerian and other sub-Sahara African equity markets as well as offer investment recommendations to investors in these markets, with the aim of ensuring that the assigned sector research coverage is a leading franchise with investors.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Build and maintain financial and valuation models of companies in the FMCG sector across the African markets.
- Initiate research coverage on FMCG and any other assigned sectors, producing insightful research reports, regular maintenance research as well as thematic research reports.
- Maintain and build industry database for sector under coverage.
- Provide in-depth analysis on equities covered to domestic investors and foreign institutional portfolio managers to aid investment decision.
- Write call notes and present investment recommendations, background and breaking information on covered companies to the equity sales team in order to drive trades.
- Prepare presentation for internal and external use such as for daily market analysis and road shows, as well as teach-ins.
- Commit to a dry-run presentation with team mates and other approved personnel before embarking on a road show.
- Manage non-deal road show meetings with covered companies and investors.
- Attend investor conferences, involved in planning RMB’s business and investors, conference and participate in corporate earnings calls of covered companies.
- Have and maintain a good relationship with senior level executives of sectors being covered or considered for coverage to provide corporate access to RMB’s clients.
- Assist the Head of Research in any other role towards achieving departmental as well as organizational goals.
- Provide inputs in the preparation of the RMBNS monthly trade ideas (stock picks) report.
Qualifications and Experience
- B.Sc in relevant fields.
- A CFA (completed or in-view), MBA or M.Sc in Finance could be an added advantage.
- 3 – 6 years experience working as a sell-side analyst in a reputable brokerage firm in Africa.
- Must have a valid travel passport and must not have restrictions on travels to countries globally.
- Self-starter, ready to work in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment and has an open.
- Very confident and must possess excellent communication skill as position involves regular and face-to-face interactions with portfolio managers / investment analysts.
- Strong working relationship with domestic and foreign institutional investors.
- Excellent use of Microsoft Office tools – excel, PowerPoint, Microsoft etc.
- Good understanding of financial statement analysis as well as financial and valuation modelling.
- An excellent understanding of the securities markets – understanding how trends in other asset class impacts equities and vice versa.
- Highly analytical in thoughts and approach to data and report writing.
- Ability to interpret data in a meaningful manner and approach that offers clear information investment choices.
- Good understanding on research compliance, ethics and engagement between public and side of the business required.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application / CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.