The Embassy of Ireland manages all aspects of Ireland’s relationship with Nigeria, with non-resident accreditations to Ghana, Senegal and ECOWAS. Ireland is a major donor to the humanitarian crisis in the Lake Chad Region affecting Nigeria, Niger, Cameroon and Chad.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Humanitarian Officer
- The Embassy wishes to recruit a humanitarian development officer to support, inform and shape the Embassy’s humanitarian work.
- The position requires a deep knowledge of the region and humanitarian work, a high degree of professionalism, third level education, good oral and written communication in English and French, good organisational skills, and the ability to be flexible as demands and priorities change.
Roles and Responsibilities
For full details see candidate booklet:
- Monitor the level and nature of humanitarian crisis and report regularly on developments
- Participate in regular meetings on humanitarian issues in Nigeria
- Liaise directly with the HQ on funding options and ensure that programmes are carried out in line with Ireland’s Humanitarian Assistance Policy and within the terms agreed when financing was provided. This may include contact with Irish posted staff on Rapid Response duty.
- Advise diplomatic staff on developments with a view to maintaining a high profile for the Embassy on humanitarian issues.
- Undertake monitoring visits to the field to assess progress by partners (UN, Red Cross and NGOs) in implementing humanitarian and development programmes supported by Ireland. Share monitoring findings with colleagues in Abuja and HQ
- Within Nigeria, prepare briefs for visits to State level for the HOM/DHOM and liaise with Federal and State government officers on a work programmes for the visits.
- Monitor the level and source of international funding, highlight key successes and challenges and identify lessons which can be used to inform Ireland’s future support in Nigeria and the region.
- Liaise regularly with the Nigeria UN Humanitarian Country Team and with OCHA in-country. Act as liaison for Ireland with the Nigeria Humanitarian Pooled Fund.
- Support preparations for high-level visits from Ireland to view Irish-supported humanitarian programmes.
- Prepare occasional papers on development and humanitarian subjects as requested by the HOM or colleagues in HQ.
- Degree in a discipline of relevance to the role of Humanitarian Development Officer (Level 8);
- Post-graduate Degree in a relevant discipline (Level 9);
- Strong knowledge of the Lake Chad Region;
- Independent means of transport;
- The legal right to work in Nigeria;
- High degree of integrity and trust;
- Effective communication, networking and reporting skills (including understanding, reporting and communicating complex information);
- Fluency in English and French;
- Minimum of seven years relevant work experience;
- Initiative and Team Work (capacity to motivate staff; innovate; participate in / lead teams aimed at process or organisational reform); and
- Good representational, networking and influencing skills.
- Knowledge of the Development Sector;
- Knowledge of the Irish humanitarian policy;
- Office administration experience;
- Database management skills;
- Experience working in an International Organisation, Diplomatic Mission or other International Environment.
- The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade is committed to a policy of equal opportunity. It is important to note that canvassing will automatically disqualify applicants.
- Completed applications will be acknowledged. Only short listed applicants will be contacted.
- By submitting information electronically, parties accept that data may not be fully secure. Parties may alternatively send their submissions by post to: (insert postal address Any personal information submitted to us will only be used for its intended purposes and will be destroyed when no longer needed. Any other processing or disclosure of personal data is not allowed other than in the exceptional circumstances provided for under the Data Protection Acts.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should Email: [email protected] to receive the candidate booklet; and Follow the instructions in the candidate booklet, emailing the necessary documents to the address provided.
Application Deadline: 8th May, 2017.