Remo Growth and Development Foundation (RemoGDF), a not for-profit and non-political organization, was inaugurated by HRM Oba Adewale Babatunde Ajayi, the Akarigbo of Remo on May 1, 2018. The Grand Patron of RemoGDF is His Royal Majesty. The other patrons include all Remo Obas whilst its membership is opened to all distinguished sons and daughters of Remo. RemoGDF aims to promote peace, growth and development in Remoland and Nigeria in general.
Remoland situated in the South-Western Nigeria has three out of the twenty local governments in Ogun State, namely lkenne LGA, Remo North LGA and Sagamu LGA. It is bounded in the North-East by ljebu North LGA and Ago-lwoye villages. Remo is home to over 500,000 people with many others in diaspora, Agriculture and commerce are the main occupations of Remo indigenes. Remo in the past produced best farmer of the year at both state and national levels.
Towards the actualization of its lofty vision, we seek to engage qualified candidates to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Chief Operations Officer (COO)
Location: Remo, Ogun with frequent travels to Remoland region
Post Level: Senior Management
Languages Required: English and Yoruba
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the overall guidance of The Grand Patron and Patrons and in close partnership with the Management Council, the COO will provide strategic insight and leadership towards delivering on the vision and mission of the RemoGDF.
- To represent the RemoGDF within the global community.
- To represent the RemoGDF in law and for civil purposes.
- To ensure a performance focused, effective and efficient institution that actively seeks opportunities for continuous improvement while adapting to a changing dynamics of the operating environment.
- To coordinate the implementation of the RemoGDF Development Master plan.
- To efficiently and effectively manage the RemoGDF secretariat and its staff.
- To collaborate closely with stakeholders within and outside Remoland using the RemoGDF as a platform for full Stakeholder interface to foster economic and human capital development.
- To ensure that the RemoGDF goals and objectives are delivered in consonance with the rule of law and are cost effective and continually progressive.
- To entrench the position of the foundation as an impartial and non-partisan Pan-Remo, operational entity and Centre of knowledge, resource center and investment promotion unit
The COO will perform the following functions:
Internal (Organizational) Leadership:
Provide the vision, direction, inspiration and motivation necessary to ensure the foundation’s success:
- Mission Stewardship: Work with the Management Council and staff to define the foundation’s mission, communicate it effectively within the foundation, ensure that It serves continuously as an inspiration and guide and execute it,
- Management Council Relations: Work with the Management Council to help ensure that it is properly constituted and trained to conduct effective governance.
- Values and Ethical Standards Management: Work with the Management Council and staff to ensure adoption of and adherence to appropriate values and ethical standards in all foundation business.
- Brand / Identity Management: Work with the Management Council and staff to ensure proper care and development of the RemoGDF and Remo, culture, reputation and image.
Internal (Organizational) Management:
Make decisions that result in efficient and effective foundation functioning:
- Legal Issues Management: Work with the Management Council and staff to develop legal strategies to guide and protect the foundation.
- Monitoring and Evaluation Management: Work with the Management Council and staff to establish accountability standards and systems that track the foundations effectiveness and impact.
- Staff Management: Ensure that staff selection and capacity development.
- Financial Management: Work with the Management Council and staff to develop financial administration strategies and systems that are effective and aligned with the foundation’s vision/mission.
- Programmatic Management: Work with the Management Council and staff to develop programming along the operational focal areas.
Contribute to the dialogue, vision and direction of the applicable global, national or local communities; for the areas of the foundations focus areas:
- Visionary Leadership: Contribute to the vision and thought leadership of the field of philanthropy and communicate this vision.
- Partnership Management: Work collaboratively with other private and/or public funders and grantees for greater social impact.
- Education and Public Engagement: Help shape the agenda and decision making of government and other external stakeholders.
- Issue-Area Visionary Leadership: Contribute to the vision and thought leadership in the foundation’s focus area(s) and communicate this vision.
Output & Deliverable:
- Monitoring and Evaluation of RemoGDF projects. Conduct baseline study, identify impact and results of interventions
- Engagement and collaboration with all and or key business entities with presence in Remo Land. This will include understanding and influencing their corporate responsibility contributions, employment strategies, etc.
- Staffing and proper coordination of RemoGDF secretariat
- Successful management and delivery of RemoGDF programmes and projects. This includes availability of workplans for projects with clear timelines and milestones and effective management of budgets
- Availability and implementation of Communication Plan, which includes effective PR strategies and timely submission of quality progress reports
- Improved brand visibility and RemoGDF image
Collaboration and Partnership:
- Constructively challenge those with power and authority.
- Speak effectively and compellingly. Excellent oral communications skills and conflict resolution competency to manage inter-group dynamics and mediate conflicting
- interest of varied actors
- Write effectively and compellingly. Excellent writing skills, with analytical capacity and ability to prepare and present quality project reports and presentations
- Guide cross-team and cross organizational collaboration.
- Relate well to a diversity of individuals.
- Convene and manage groups.
- Work well as a team player.
- Know the priority elements of the organizations vision, values and mission.
- Know the public context in which the organization operates.
- Delegate appropriate decisions and responsibilities.
- Demand information for appropriate leadership level decision making.
- Make clear and timely decisions.
- Know the Management Council’s style. operations, concerns arid aspirations.
- Understand the principles of laws applicable to governance.
- Be able to work well with the Management Council, regardless of its composition
- Be able to contribute to Management Council building.
- Be able o Adhere to clear lines of responsibility and accountability
- Maturity and confidence in dealing with all stakeholders.
- Detect changes in the organisation’s functioning, culture or dynamics
- Create and maintain organisational culture
- Manage change
- Know under what circumstances it is productive to use consultants
- Develop a personal approach to change management
- Create a work environment in which learning is continuous and staff feels comfortable taking risks to help the foundation meet its mission
Professional and Personal Development:
- Arranage for assessment of performance of the Foundation COO functions
- Make and express to the Management Council the connection between professional development and foundation effectiveness.
- Conduct ongoing personal and professional development
Planning and Vision Setting:
- Thinking strategically; Lead strategic thinking and planning efforts
- Know the organisations future needs
- Lead the creation of a shared vision for staff, the Management Council and relevant external groups that are aligned with the organisation
- Educate others on the future direction and inspire them to be supporters and advocates
- Incorporate the organisation’s vision into its programs and operations
- Embody the organisation’s vision in all work
Management and Leadership:
- Know the culture of the organisation, including the degree and type of teamwork among staff, and breakdown in teamwork.
- Create a positive and productive work environment, lead team effectively and demonstrate mentoring and conflict resolution skills
- Model proper staff behavior and promote inclusive practices
- Create a sense of shared responsibility/credit for accomplishments and for chanllenges or failures
- Lead an efficient and effective organisation operation according to best practices ethical guidelines and fiduciary requirements
- Manage competing requirement and interests.
- Manage resources effectively including use external consultants and experts.
- Build strong relationships with clients
- Demonstrate openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Solid knowledge in financial resources and human resources management, contract, asset and procurement, information and communication technology and general administration:
- Work with the Management Council and staff to develop asset investment management and financial administration strategies and systems and ensure proper implementation.
- Ensure that staff are properly selected, supported and guided and that their professional development is nurtured.
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets, manage contributions and investments, manage transactions, conduct financial analysis and reporting
- Ability to lead business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems
- Work with the Management Council and staff to define the foundation’s mission, communicate it effectively within the foundation, ensure that it serves continuously as an inspiration and guide, and execute it.
Values and Ethical Standards Management:
- Work with the Management Council and staff to ensure adoption of and adherence to appropriate values and ethical standards in all foundation business. Display cultural, gender, religion, race, age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Work with the Management Council and staff to ensure proper care and development of the foundation’s culture, reputation and image.
- Work with the Management Council and staff to develop programmes that are effective and aligned with the foundation’s vision/mission and ensure that such programmes are executed and implemented well.
Legal Issues Management:
- Work with the Management Council and staff to develop legal strategies and systems that are effective and aligned with the foundation’s vision/mission, and ensure that such strategies and systems are implemented well.
Accountability and Evaluation Management:
- Work with the Management Council and staff to establish accountability standards and systems that track the foundation’s effectiveness and impact.
- Work collaboratively with other Private and/or public organizations for greater social impact.
Education and Advocacy:
- Help shape the agenda and decision making of government and other external stakeholders
Required Skills and Experience
- Experience of managing large multicultural teams
- Comprehensive knowledge of the different needs, requirements, constraints and diverging interests of stakeholders in the Remoland, Ogun State and Nigeria
- Good understanding of the culture and people of Remoland highly desirable
- Comprehensive knowledge of the needs, requirements and constraints of development value chain
- Education: Post graduate degree in Management / Social Science related fields
- Experience: Minimum of 10 years of professional experience, of which at least 4 years in development sector from which at least 5 years was at a senior management level; or equivalent experience preferably with Intergovernmental and Public Organisations.
- Ability to conduct negotiations at the highest level
- Demonstrated experience and ability to deal with complex issues with diplomacy and tact
- Demonstrated experience in delivering management of Change.
- High leadership profile
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should please send their CV as an email attachment to: [email protected] and copy [email protected] stating “Vacancy COO RemoGDF” as the subject
Application Deadline 17th February, 2019.
Note: lndigenes of Remoland are encouraged to apply.